8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 11:45 AM by Phillip Johnston

2016 slow compared to 2014

John Wayman

Well, we finally moved from 2014, SP5, which we all thought was really unstable and prone to crash, to 2016, SP5.

The answer to all our prayers?

No.

It seems pretty well just as prone to crashes (4 or 5 times yesterday for me, mostly during drawing creation, often when dragging a dimension), whilst having more 'lag' when a command is clicked.

The general impression, gleaned by the 5 of us, after a couple of weeks' use, is that it is no more stable than 2014, whilst being slightly slower to use.

We are using the Classic colour scheme and there have been no complaints regarding the colours.

I have received a number of observations regarding cases of additional clicks being required for frequent operations, such as digging out 'Hide All Types', which is one level lower down the menu structure in 2016 than it was in 2014.

Does this ring true with other people's experiences with 2016?

If not, I will pursue performance, perhaps by removing all traces of SW and re-installing.

Some of our machines were 'upgraded' to 2016, whilst others were treated to a fresh installation of 2016 alongside 2014. One was uninstalled and re-installed.

The machines range from 5 years old, through 2 years old to 3 months old. All are compliant with the SW hardware requirements, and have decent graphics cards.

All the users seem to be reporting similar results.

I'm interested in the experience of others, so that I can assess whether to get our VAR involved in a quest for stability and speed.

SW2016, SP5,

WPDM

• Re: 2016 slow compared to 2014
          Steve Calvert

One of the first questions anyone will ask you is:  Did you perform any updates to the files from 2014?  If not, that's part of the problem perhaps. Each time SW2016 opens up an older version, it has to be updated and this can slow down performance.

Another question might be:  Are you opening these files from a network share?  If so, can you copy and open the same assemblies from a local drive and see if performance changes?

Steve C

John Wayman

Steve,

That is a possibility.

We didn't update any files, we just did the version change on WPDM.

Regarding the network share, that should not be the source of any additional slowdown, because 2014 was also on the same network.

I'll keep an eye on things to see whether things improve as objects are updated by saving them back to the vault.

Here's hoping...

John

Glenn Schroeder

John Wayman wrote:

It seems pretty well just as prone to crashes (4 or 5 times yesterday for me, mostly during drawing creation, often when dragging a dimension), whilst having more 'lag' when a command is clicked.

I've moved on to SW2017, but I rarely had crashes with SW2016, and didn't notice the lags you mentioned.  Is it possible that the WPDM is causing the issues?  I've heard of that causing problems, especially with crashes.

Alin Vargatu

2016 SP5.0?

Phillip Johnston

Here are a couple questions related to stability:

1. Did you ensure your Windows Updates were current before installing SOLIDWORKS?

2. Did you install using an administrator account and with your anti-virus turned off?

3. Are you saving the crash logs and sending them to your VAR? They can research them and see if your machines have issues with Microsoft Prerequisite software, such as .NET, C++, and so on.

4. Are you running a current, supported graphics card driver for your system specs?

5. Have you tried using the SOLIDWORKS Rx tool to launch SOLIDWORKS "While bypassing Tools/Options settings", to see if that helps with reducing crashes? If so, that helps narrow down the problem considerably.

6. Are you running in a supported software environment? Such as Windows 7 Pro, Windows 10 Pro, etc?