1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 8:44 PM by Siavash Khajehhasani

Estimation wind force on vertical wall

Ejaz Salim

HI Experts ,

I am faced with a seemingly easy problem (easy to simulate i.e) but rather confused over interpreting the results effectively.

Here's what i have been upto

I am trying to simulate the effect of 45 m/s wind flow over a 2.0 m x 1.0 m x 0.15m  vertical wall in an effort to understand the magnitude of wind force acting on the wall . Eventually, the decision on the steel member size shall be based on the findings . This is more like a hobby project hence wont be subject to code compliance etc etc .

Have been using surface goals to estimate the magnitude of the force . Surface goals have been applied to the Front , rear , side and top faces respectively and have checked the "treat each as separate" option so that results for each face are obtained separately .

Where i am facing difficulties

I now have the following set of results (omitting the less important ones for convenience sake)

1) SG FORCE X Direction (Front Face ) = 1739 N

2) SG FORCE X Direction (Rear Face) = 1950 N

Do i interpret the force acting on the wall in the X direction as the sum of both the above surface goals ???  or is it sufficient that any one of the values be considered