AnsweredAssumed Answered

project plane, axis, or center point onto sketch

Question asked by David Shealey on Nov 16, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 by David Shealey

My company is an Inventor user, but we are now using SolidWorks (2015) to work on a project in conjunction with another company.  We thought this would be great, but surprisingly finding a lot of basic things that Inventor seemingly does better!  Big surprise to me, as I have never been a fan of Autodesk. Inventor is sure looking better to me now though.

I am trying to make a sketch on a surface of a part, and get the perpendicular origin plane, origin center, or origin axes "projected" onto the sketch.  This is a basic function in Inventor, but I cannot find a way to do it in SW.  "Convert" only does a fraction of what "Project" does in Inventor. I am really surprised that convert will not work on planes, axes, or origin points!

I have also tried drawing a center line, starting it from the highlighted "center point" of a converted line from the part.  It does not develop a relationship, like the automatic "constraint" in Inventor that keeps it there.  I tried putting a point on the "center point" of the line, it also does not lock into position like it does in Inventor.  I have spent a couple hours researching, reading, and trying things to no avail.

I have to be missing something in SW, as it CANNOT be that hard to develop a basic fixed starting point in a sketch relative to a feature on the part or the origin system of that part.

Please tell me I am missing something very basic.

Outcomes