7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 5:10 PM by Ryan McVay

Mentor Graphics sale

Ryan McVay

I was wondering what opinions and effects the sale of Mentor Graphics to Siemens has on the SW and CATIA user base. This is a huge investment by Siemens. I can understand why they bought the company but I am more concerned with how this purchase might effect the SW "ecosystem".

Please share your opinions and concerns.

• Re: Mentor Graphics sale
          Gian Flavio Violi

Honestly, I think CATIA users base will be the most affected IMO.

I know in other countries and regions Mentor Gaphrics solutions were a lot more implemented than in my VARs territory, but pretty much every company using CATIA that I know have some MGs solution deployed (not that I know many of them).

We also gotta wait and see how Siemens is gonna handle this whole deal, are they gonna kill the partnering with other software and use it for their own ecosystem only? That's (and everything else we can say now) its pure speculation.

Regards,

GF

Ryan McVay

I don't expect SPLM to initially do much with the company. It's a large purchase for Siemens PLM. I believe that is larger than the UGS purchase almost a decade ago. They are not going to upset the customer base because they still need the ROI.

I was looking at this as another software component that the other CAx/PLM OEMs currently utilize but will now be paying royalties to the competition- again. Like Parasolid and D-Cubed, etc.

I'm not sure what SW is using under the hood for their analysis tools.

Anna Wood

Why would the thought of paying royalties to a competitor be different today, than it was yesterday?  

The landscape for the payee or payer has not changed for any of the cad companies that reside on both sides of that fence. 

Ryan McVay

Anna Wood I would agree with your comment about no changes in payee or payee for the SW desktop.

But that is not the case for the SOLIDWORKS Apps on the 3DEXPERIENCE side. DS owns the kernel in that case. I'm not sure about the solvers they are using in that platform.

I still believe that the goal of 3DEXPERIENCE is to have all the toolsets own and managed by DS. Remember the original comments about wanting to be like Apple? I think those were made around 2009ish?

Anna Wood

Ryan McVay wrote:

Anna Wood I would agree with your comment about no changes in payee or payee for the SW desktop.

But that is not the case for the SOLIDWORKS Apps on the 3DEXPERIENCE side. DS owns the kernel in that case. I'm not sure about the solvers they are using in that platform.

I still believe that the goal of 3DEXPERIENCE is to have all the toolsets own and managed by DS. Remember the original comments about wanting to be like Apple? I think those were made around 2009ish?

That is a true statement.....  Dassault very much wants to own and manage all the components in the 3D Experience platform.

I do not consider the SolidWorks branded apps on the 3Dx platform to be SolidWorks.  They are just Catia V6/Enovia applications branded differently for marketing purposes.   FWIW.....

Chris Saller

I'm surprised there hasn't been more acquisitions between CAD companies.

I expect more within 10 years from now.