11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 12:25 PM by Arthur McRae

Design Tree

Brian Warthen

I'd like to lock in the collapsed view items in the design tree. Manipulating an assembly by grabbing a random part expands the tree to show the part. Many time I don't care about that part I'm just moving things around. If an item were wanted and was locked, the tree would highlight the parent point. And, should I want to unlock it I can find it. For example; I have a leaner pattern part in an assembly, I touch it to move my assembly, the design tree barfs open one hundred parts and now I have to find the collapse arrow and reclose it to find the rest of the design tree or collapse all from left click. The present design tree is a time suck and very poor work flow.

• Re: Design Tree
          John Pesaturo

This seems like it should fix your issue ...

Just un-check the "Scroll selected item into view" and you should not experience that problem any longer.

Well that works if you don't want the scroll to view feature to work, but I do.

John Pesaturo

Brian, while it may not be the best fix if you still want to utilize that feature I can offer a consolation prize of sorts ...

With the selection turned off it will no longer expand your feature tree until it barfs. This being said, if you still wish to find your part in the tree you can simply right click it and select "Go To Component (in tree)" at any time and it will expand to find your component. Maybe not the best fix but it's all I've got ...

Paul Risley

Shift C collapses the tree at any given time,  * on the number pad will expand it. I have never seen functionality to lock the tree one way or the other.

Peter Brinkhuis

You can also right click any empty space in the feature tree and select Collapse. I do that a hundred times a day, so I kinda know how what you're going through. I've customized the menu so collapse is near the very top.

Well, these are all good work arounds. This stuff is the kind of things SW should not make the users fight with and lose work time thinking about. I consider these basic functions that should just work, instead of stealing our work time with meaningless movements and clicks. 100 times per day closing the tree down to find something adds up. 

John Stoltzfus

The easiest way to avoid what you're talking about is to adjust your workflow and create Zones or Sub-assemblies in your models.  Also 2016 has a great new feature where it combines all the same components to one level. 

Sub Assemblies are a must for what I engineer and then assemble. Whether the components are on one level or not, nobody wants to waste their employer's time or steal from their employer or delay a project due to fooling around with the design tree. Also, garbage like this detracts our focus of being creative and using SW to get this creativity into a model.

John Stoltzfus

I guess I shouldn't have commented if I can't see or understand what your needing, if you just wanted to rant that's awesome, but if you wanted other users advice or their comments then that's a total different story, there are many great ideas available if you want to absorb it.......