2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 7:40 AM by Ronald van Til

Solidworks 2017 troubles

Ronald van Til

Installed SW2017 SP0 at a customers location last week. Everything went well, no error messages. Did an upgrade of SW2016.

Everything looked alright, but SW2017 was really slow in opening files from the network. At first I thought that it had somenthing to do with converting files from SW2016 to SW2017 so did not look into it. SW2017 stayed slow however. Today I reset the settings by deleting HKCU-Software-Solidworks (after making a backup off course). Now the UI is missing stuff. The Heads up toolbar is empty, I can fill it with icons but it does not save these changes. The file open slowness has disappeared however.

Anybody suggestions on what went wrong and how to resolve this?

• Re: Solidworks 2017 troubles
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Ronald,

Did you only wipe out the settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER or did you also wipe them out in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? It sounds like you likely wiped them out in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE which you should never do because that is where the default settings come from for users, and hence why things will be incorrect in the UI. If you did that, you can try a repair install to see if it fixes it but it may not and you may need a full reinstall to fix it.

I hope this helps,

Jim

• Re: Solidworks 2017 troubles
              Ronald van Til

I indeed did do some selective cleaning in the registry (again after backups) as this is a rather old workstation and there were references up till SW2012 and I must have removed something that did damage. Restored this part of the registry and the strange things have disappeared. My wrong.

Thanks for the help!