AnsweredAssumed Answered

instable model failure

Question asked by Maurits De Wolff on Nov 12, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 by Gian Flavio Violi

Hello,

I've been struggling with a simple bicycle crankset. The goal is to run a simulation, evaluate the outcome and adapt parts or materials were needed so as to meet the proper criteria. All other students have finished their assignment and submitted a report but I can't seem to finish the simulation in the first place.

At first the solver was at it for 5 or 6 hours. It didn't fail at the time, it just never finished the job. Then I found I had some interference issues. I solved those and I speeded up Windows 7 by unchecking all unuseful fancy stuff. There's several Solidworks instuctions floating around on the internet on how to tweak swap space, and Windows settings in general. I also tried alternating between Direct Sparse and FFE Plus. Now the solver fails within the first 5 minutes due to instability of the model. All students modeled their crankset to the same dimensions and nobody I heard of haviing such failures.

What causes these failures and how can I prevent this from happening? I've read the go-engineer link but I do not comprehend and this point.

Thank you for your time.

Maurits

Outcomes