9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 10:21 AM by Gustav Carlberg

Converting sketch patterns to drawing

Gustav Carlberg

Hello!

I work in a field where a lot of features are represented by various symbols and patterns, and i have found that the best way to handle this is to simply draw most of these things as sketches. Up until recently i drew most things directly onto the veiws in the drawing, but it was hard to manage since these sketeches can get quite big with a lot of relations and dimensions. Instead i started drawing them as sketches in the 3d model and used the convert entities feature to place them in the right layers.

This works much better exept when it comes to patterns. The models i make are highly parametric and the pattern in the drawing doesn't change when i control the number of pattern instances.

Is there a work around for this issue?

Im not afraid of working with the API if that is necessary.

• Re: Converting sketch patterns to drawing
          Bjorn Hulman

Hi Gustav,

Its difficult to visualise what you are trying to achieve. However, converting your complex sketch into a block may be a good solution. Once you create a block you can save it. Saving it to your design library will make it easily accessible in the design library toolbar on the right of the interface where you can drag in when you need it.  and simply drop it into parts and drawings. No matter how complex, the block will act as a single entity and will easily pattern.

Gustav Carlberg

Thank you for the reply Björn!

I'm sorry if i failed to describe the issue clearly. I think the issue is quite specific to the particular field i work in and my particular method.

The issue isn't really about making a pattern out of a complex sketch, it's rather about getting sketches with patterns, made in the 3D model, to correcly end up in certain layers on a 2D drawing.

John Stoltzfus

If the Bjorn Hulman comment isn't what you want, then it would be a great help if you could upload pictures or files....

Gustav Carlberg

tillsolidforum.png

Here is a terrible example i made quickly. The two pictures on the left are from the 3D view, where i have made a pattern sketch on a simple block. The two pictures on the right are drawing views of the same part where i used convert entites to put the sketch into a red layer. Note that i changed the dimension of the circle and the number of instances in the pattern between the upper and the lower set of pictures but that only the dimesion changed on the drawing.

John Stoltzfus

Still can't wrap my head around what your really trying to do and why you would have your 3D model different then the drawing.  I guess I'm too used to having the part and the drawing identical and if the part needs to be different or shown different then I would make a new part and replace accordingly.  

I can see there is considerable time required converting those features........

Bjorn Hulman

Gustav,

If your simply after sketches in the drawing, it seems that the part file is an unnecessary step. Why not simply create what you are after in the drawing?

You can create one patterned sketch on the first sheet. If it is more complex than a circle I'd still recommend converting to a block before patterning.

Now, you could copy and paste the sketch, but the pattern doesn't seem to appreciate this approach. What you can do is copy the sheet, and paste it, you now have an identical sheet where you can change the parameters of the pattern.

Gustav Carlberg

It's true that im simply after sketches in the drawings, but since it usually ends upp beeing a lot of sketching i wanted to use the 3D enviroment for reasons i mentioned in the original post. If there is no simple fix for this issue however, il probably just sketch the patterns in the drawing. Its just slightly annoying to work in two different ways.

Bjorn Hulman

part and assembly files do not provide layer functionality, so getting the drawing sheet to separate the elements into different layers would be difficult. The easiest way would be to create drawings of each element you want in a separate part, bring them into the drawing on their respective layers and add relations and dimensions. You can create a layer for construction geometry which you could hide, or make a non-print layer depending on your SW version and the output you're after.