1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 9, 2016 8:31 PM by Adam Hartles

SW2017 slow dimensions but fast rebuilding

Richard Wagenaar

My observations so far is SW2017 is very fast when rebuilding drawing. That

is really helpfull.  I never saw such a big improvement with my test drawing which

has a complex assembly of about 1000 parts and 5 sections.

But placing dimension and editing model dimensions has unnecessary long delays

which I did not see in SW2015. For me 0.65 sec vs 0.1 sec is a big delay of

about 0.5 sec. Never saw these delays in old releases too.

Also, even clicking on the red X mark to exit the dimension menu is causing

about 3 times more delay than clicking on the green OK icon.

That seems like very unoptimized code.

We made a dimension editor ourself with the API and we do not see these delays

when editing dimension. What a shame that this is necessary to avoid delays.

Solidworks,  what are you doing with the most used commands????

It is nice to see improvement in rebuilding but dissappointing to see regressions for the most

used commands that worked 20 years without unnecessary delays.

I work with shortcuts for almost every command and use them blind, so a delay is

very easily disturbing.

• Re: SW2017 slow dimensions but fast rebuilding
          Adam Hartles

Hi Richard

I guess you are using some sort of API to time the delays? I have seen no noticeable difference (by eye) between 2015, 16 and 17 when adding dimensions, but I guess half a second would be tricky to spot easily. I think I can see a slight difference between the red cross vs green tick scenario though.

If you have stats off the back of API, or some other means of timekeeping, then I think this is worth submitting to your VAR support. They can then escalate to the Developers who write the code, as if they are not made aware then it can never be solved.

Best Regards

Adam