6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 5:37 PM by Adrian Pawlak

Can't thicken surface

Adrian Pawlak

Can someone help me with thickening the surface ?

• Re: Can't thicken surface
          Christian Chu

You need to fix all the twisted corners before you can use thicken feature on it

Capture.JPG

Thomas Voetmann

It is a long way of trial and error.

Try to knit some of the surfaces and se if they will thicken. Then roll back and add some to your knit or remove some. Also play with "merge result". You hopefully end up with a bunch of solids but you might have some surfaces that will not thicken at all. In that case you have to trim away areas with small curvature or singularity and recreate geometry in these areas.

Use "conventional" features to cope with gaps and zero-geometry issues. Finally "Combine" the solids.

Good luck.

Paul Salvador

As both Christian and Thomas have all good suggestions.. areas in this model really need to be addressed.. I played with this briefly yesterday and got lucky with 3mm shell.. but was reluctant to post.. that is, imho, this geometry is not good and should be reworked and cleaned up (sorry).

3mm.png

Christian Chu

Paul,

When I just looked this model, I thought it'd take me a long while to fix and thicken it

You did amazing job here ! Thumb up

Did i say thumb up, I mean 2 x Thumb up !!!

Edit: I always have more luck with "shell" than "thicken" - Is it same to you ????

Paul Salvador

Hey Christian.. thanks man.. it's one of those models where you say... ok..  zero in on the obvious suspects and what needs the most attention (check surfaces/edges/corners/curvature).. attempt a thickness feature to see what faces fail... and if that does not work what is more forgiving or automatic.. a solid shell .. close it up.. patch/knit/solidify..  and shell..  this method (or algorithm) seems to push the boundaries (pun intended) of what is tolerable.. so much so, it's pretty bad geometry which should NEVER be acceptable but it does it!?

(btw, pro/e could do great "tolerable" shells/offsets!)

Adrian Pawlak

Thank you all for help.