4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 1:22 PM by Ryan McVay

EPDM crashes on opening

Ryan McVay

I have a single workstation, out of 12, that will crash if the user attempts to open part(s) after the user has initially opened parts that access EPDM vault. This is an odd issue. If the user exists SW and reopens the issue still occurs. If the user logs out of the vault we don't have a problem...again..until he opens a secondary assembly.

This is a brand spanking new workstation. It only had Windows 7 SP1 and then Office 2010. No MS updates. I attempted to install SW and it bombed. I found that I was able to get SW 2013 SP5 installed if I did NOT install the 3DtoScan module. Once that was removed from the installation SW 2013 SP5 would install. Then EPDM went on and then DriveWorks 9.

Yes, I did do the full uninstall of SW 2013 multiple..meaning (10-12 times eliminating modules) that included removing the software, the C++, Visual Studio, Bonjour, Registry keys, UAC, etc..That was fun reinstalling all the MS C++ modules- over and over again. At this point I thought we were good for awhile..then SW started crashing again. At this point the workstation does have all the Windows 7 and Office updates. I have been using the active and deactive KB utility when making any changes to the install.

I've looked at everything from network switch changes to resinstalling SW and a repair of SW, etc. I'm at a loss here.

Any help is appreciated.

• Re: EPDM crashes on opening
          Charley Saint

Hey Ryan,

Wasn't sure what you meant by "I have been using the active and deactive KB utility when making any changes to the install." Have you uninstalled KB3072630 from the Windows updates because that'll for sure break stuff like this:

SOLIDWORKS

Ryan McVay

SW supplies a utility for setting the registry key value for activating and deactivating the KB3072630-. I used the wrong terms it should be disable and re enable. That way you don't have to actually do the MS Uninstall for the KB. Mark this day down....Ryan admits to a subtle mistake! ;-)

Charley Saint

Gotcha, I always like to do a test just to make sure that update is disabled. Easiest way I know of is to go to Tools->Macro->New and if that crashes SolidWorks then the KB disable didn't work. In that case try uninstalling it and SolidWorks, rebooting and reinstalling SolidWorks. If that's not the case take a look at the crash logs in %appdata%\..\Local\SolidWorks\CXPA and see if any of the SolidWorksPerformance.log files in the zips point to a specific error.

Ryan McVay

Charley Saint I did go and remove all vault views, uninstall EPDM and then reinstall just EPDM. So far the engineer hasn't had the same issues. It was just really odd that this workstation was having issues. It's identical to all the other workstations and the identical installation process. I'm hoping this are resolved until we make the jump to SW2016 SP5 or SW2017 SP2 (when that comes out).

I'm going to close the thread and give you the credit since you were the only one to respond.