AnsweredAssumed Answered

Please can you tell me the best way to get 40 configurations of this assembly

Question asked by Rob Edwards on Nov 6, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 by John Stoltzfus

Hi all

Our company is small and we normally only make one off's, however we have just won a big job and I'm uncertain about the best way to work this.

I have my concept model.  Each subassembly/part already has configurations (some have DT's).  For example hinged left or right, the number of horizontal or vertical boards, pegs or nails.

There are also configurations for fire protection and extra security features.  The dimensions of each part is driven by a Site Survey part which contains a sketch giving a 'best fit' to a sketch picture of an actual template.

I spent a week on site making templates and we have about 20 different opening sizes to work with .  My plan (such that I have one) was to create 20 different configs for the site survey and then 40 configs of the assembly and choose which config of each part to use either manually or by DT but I don't think this approach will work because the dimensions are driven by the site survey so that each part will change depending on the rebuild of the last active configuration.  I just had a little play with a drawing and I got worried because it didn't seem to be updating properly when I switched the config in the drawing.  Also what would happen if I drop these assemblies into another assembly? I presume I could make an additional configuration of each part but I'm unsure how that would work with what I already have and seems like a recipe for disaster.

My revised plan is to pack'n'go 40 times or am I missing a trick?  I would like to automate this, so that would entail either ripping configs or reading a textfile or something.

I also need to get a 'complete' cutlist out for the total job

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've spent the last few years learning how to create geometry, now I really need to learn how to get the most out of it.

Thanks for reading.  I don't object to remodelling everything if there's a better way, and there's always next time

Outcomes