26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2016 3:56 PM by James Riddell

Can I get a job with no additional training?

Kimberley Moore

Hello all. I have a degree in game design and simulation, but I live in an area where game design is not a big industry, and I don't have the means to move. So I thought I would learn SolidWorks as a way to earn some money, but now I'm concerned that I won't actually get a job, since I don't have any architectural or engineering training. I've been told by some people that it's possible to find jobs that don't require that kind of knowledge, but through the searching I've done so far, I haven't found any. So would I just be wasting my time learning SolidWorks?

• Re: Can I get a job with no additional training?
          Chris Saller

What exactly would you use it for? Do you have any engineering/design experience?

It will not hurt to learn it. It's always good to expand and learn more software. There are some colleges that have courses like 3D printing and/or SolidWorks. SolidWorks does have a Simulation addin, you can expand into using it.

If you want to do some online jobs using SW, learn it the best you can, use the tutorials. Also, you can sign up for SolidWorks World (here in Los Angeles in Feb '17) and learn more.

Kimberley Moore

I would use it simply to get a job that would pay a little better than the part time, minimum wage job that I currently have. I don't have any engineering experience, but I have 3D modeling experience. I know how to use 3DS Max, and I was thinking that since SolidWorks is also 3D, and that you can export SolidWorks files into 3DS Max, I thought it might help me get a job as a 3D Modeler. Even if it doesn't, I was hoping that it would help me get a job while I continue working on my game design portfolio.

Derek Parks

Kimberley,

It's really going to depend a lot on where you live and the demand of such a position. If an industry is booming they will have more of a need for entry level drafters. You could start looking for entry level drafting work and see how many positions you can find and the requirements. While the primary CAD package I use is Solidworks you may find for your area or industry of interest it may not be the correct CAD package. Most colleges will give you certificates of completion for Solidworks, and AutoCad courses. I am sure with your background you could easily teach yourself what these classes would, but at least you would have something to put on a resume other than self taught along with free access to the programs.  IMO industry experience for an entry level drafter is not hugely needed since everyone has to start somewhere. That being said don't make the same mistake twice and research what industries are most popular in your area so you know you can find work later if you end up making it a longer term career decision. Best of luck and there are a lot of smart people on this forum that can help you learn if you decide to go this route.

Cheers,

Derek

Alin Vargatu

Are you good at coding? VBA? VBA.NET?

Roland Schwarz

The CAD skills are simple enough to attain. It's the engineering and industry knowledge that is harder to get. I've seen some pretty raw CAD recruits. You may still land a job with a CAD bargain-hunter. If you do, make sure it's a place where you will learn something.

I would wager your skills translate more readily to coding than to design. You might consider that avenue.

Job hunting is like negotiation. Like Chester Karrass says, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

I think there needs to be a bloody purge of "gaming schools". So much wasted money and years.

Jaja Jojo

base on your degree it would probably better if you learn composer or try to learn graphics, video editing, rendering software, these are all available in autdesk software, im not saying that learning solidworks is not good, but it just that i based on your degree

Kimberley Moore

Because of my degree, I already know 3DS Max, which is a 3D modeling program. I was thinking SolidWorks would either help me get a job as a 3D Modeler, or it would at least help me get a job while I work on my portfolio so I can get the 3D modeling job later. But if I can't get a job with just knowing SolidWorks, but nothing else related, then it would just be a waste of time.

Derek Parks

Learning Solidworks will more than likely get you entry level drafting work with no industry experience. You are comparing arts industry to manufacturing by comparing 3DS and Solidworks. Not sure what your area offers but in my area knowing 3DS Max would get you a much better entry level salary then drafting with no experience. Have you though about taking the gaming aspect out of it and look more towards animation for sales presentations and such. Like Jaja Jojo said this may be more up your ally. I do animations in Composer and a lot of people are moving towards 3DS and such to get more realistic animations. Maybe look into marketing departments in some industries in your areas and see if they have a need for it.

Jaja Jojo

3DS Max thats a very powerfull software, having a very good skill in 3DS max then add moore skill in those i said before you will become a wizard in graphics design industry, learning solidworks is not that hard i mean it will be easy to you to learn how to use solidworks since you do not have experience on other CAD like Inventor, Creo, NX, Iron CAD, Solid Egde so you will not experience those frustration switching from one CAD to another for the firstime. The thing that will give a hard time is that learning drawing standards and learning resources. For learning resources www.solidprofessor.com is a good one but you need to pay it and it is also best to use the help option of the software.

(goodluck)

John Stoltzfus

SW is a great design tool, but most users will tell you it is best to understand the manufacturing process in a certain industry, before drawing your first sketch, so can you find work in a manufacturing facility, with your sights set in the design department in a few years.  You need to earn your way, nobody will hand it to ya, good luck...   

Wayne Schafer

If you are wanting to learn Solidworks and add that to your resume try www.solidprofessor.com.  You can learn it there for around $350.  After you spend the time to learn it you might want to take some of the Solidworks certification test which will help when looking for a job the requires Solidworks experience.

Christian Chu

Learning how to use a  tool is one thing but how to apply that tool is another thing

I think you'd better take some drafting classes from a community college to get some ideas what a 3D cad uses for

Peter Benoit

It would help in most cases but more places are looking for people who can make the drawings as well as make the models. It is great that you have experience modeling in 3D but what about when it comes to drafting since most of the time it will be the engineers making the 3D models while the entry level drafters/modelers will be making the drawings, counts, cutlists and the like.

Doug Seibel

About the only way that you would get a job would be if you were the only applicant...and most companies would simply keep looking instead of hiring you.  Even for an entry-level drafting position, it is generally important to know/understand drawing/drafting standards and geometric dimensioning & tolerances.  Bottom line is, you answered your question in your opening post.  You've looked and cannot find any job opportunities in your area for someone with the skill-set that you are thinking about acquiring, and you do not have the resources to relocate to a new location.  So yes, it sounds like acquiring that skill-set would indeed be a waste of your time and resources.

Paul Risley

My short answer would be "no".

Depending on your background and job history, "maybe".

I interview and decide who can join our design team when we have an opening, we have had people who could draw in Solidworks, but had no concept of datums or how parts went together, much less a geometric awareness to tell someone how to assemble and build what they were designing.

So from my standpoint I would be hard pressed to hire someone who had a visual background and could manage Solidworks alone.

What I look for is a person with mechanical aptitude and the willingness to learn our trade to the best of their abilities. If need be we train on the floor and have our new designers/draftspeople shadow our shop floor personnel for a time just to see what they do and howt hey do it.

With me not knowing your particular background, based just on the information presented I would say that just knowing the base use of the software would not help you in the mechanical industry. .

Anna Wood

Where do you live?
                                        What are your career goals?

We may be able to direct you better if we knew those details.

Kimberley Moore

I live in Houston, Texas, and I wanted to learn thus program just so I could get something hetter than a part time, minimim wage job while I work on my portfolio for 3d Modeling. I don't habe plans on making SolidWorks my lifelong career. However, since it is also a 3d modeling program, in a sense, I was also wondering if it would help me in my 3d modeling career.

Derek Parks

I also live in Houston and I would have to say you are correct in your research, It will be very hard to find a job with just Solidworks and no knowledge of drafting or engineering standards in the current market. However that being said if you have a degree in gaming design and a knowledge of 3DS Max there are companies in Houston that hire for those positions. You need to look into graphic design and marketing firms. Almost every graphic design / web design company employs a 3D Animator at this point. Now if all you have is a certificate or some tech degree in 3DS Max and not necessarily a bachelors or associates degree in design than you may have a difficult time there too but at least it's working towards your ultimate goal. While game design specifically is not huge in Houston the 3D market is fairly large.

All being said learning Solidworks would still be a plus.

Cheers,
                                                Derek

Chris Saller

I have seen companies that use both 3D Max and SolidWorks. Experience with both can only help, not hurt.

John Frahm

Drafting & Design Engineering Technology Degrees and Certificates - Houston Community College | HCC

The additional bonus to taking classes at your local community college, is that it helps you build contacts like the Forums. Briefly glancing at their website they offer job placement services. Nobody can guarantee you a job, but for their marketing angle they like to see their graduates employeed because they can tell the next person in line that they got you a job.

Jack Blake

Some harsh sounding but mostly true answers. If you have no passion for the engineering side of it and it's just temporarilyy for the money then you've got a degree so you obviously aren't too stupid will no doubt be able to find professions that are easier to pick up. On the other hand getting into engineering would be a great beneficial learning experience

Roland Schwarz

Do you want a job with no training and requires no qualification? You're in luck. It's Election Day!

James Riddell

Why not?  There are plenty of "designers" out there with no skills whatsoever.  90% of the battle is knowing how to use the software.  And with a graphics background you can certainly make things look pretty.