3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2016 10:21 AM by Rob Edwards

How can I perform Hoberman sphere expansion and compression?

Beckham Lee

Hi there,

Recently I have been haunted by this problem very badly and I am desperately looking for ways to perform expansion and compression of objects similar to Hoberman sphere like the image below shows.

Hoberman sphere.jpg

I would really appreciate your help!

• Re: How can I perform Hoberman sphere expansion and compression?
          Rob Edwards

I had a similar thing with a geo-dome lol so I was already half way there...  I tried to do a motion study, but it would only move the sketch when being edited, so no good really

It's good to construct your geometry from first principles to understand what goin on

3 golden rectangles make a Icosahedron

and midpoints of this make Icosidodecahedron

which makes 6 circles

makes 6 planes

heres the angle we need  (360/10)

for a sketch..  obviously need to do a better job here

but hopefully its a good start

Thankyou was fun

Beckham Lee

Thank you for your response!

However, my problem is not as difficult. Constructing a Hoberman Sphere requires motions of the structure from all the direction, but my problem only needs one direction.

My original problem was to design an artificial heart valve, and study it at both of its expanded and compressed form, something like this,

TAVI.jpg

Do you have any idea how to proceed to move all the stents?

Really appreciate your reply!

Rob Edwards

ha! and there was me thinking it was a bit trivial.  That looks awsum.  The Hoberman Sphere was quite straight forward as it had very good symmetry and all I did was pattern a single sketch line.  I'd love to take a closer look but I'm completely snowed under at the moment.  One of my pet projects I've got on the back boiler is modelling a flower opening, by accident I discovered that the Hoberman Sphere was quite pretty with petals, and when I get the time I'd like to animate it.

It's a bit beyond me to speak with any authority about how to go about it, but where there's a will there's a way.  Could you post some more detailed information.  It's important to have a thorough understanding of whats required.  Hopefully someone else will chip in to both our benefit.