I have the following resources to prototype simple plastic parts:
- Tormach PCNC-770 using a PathPilotTM controller (Arlington VA TechShop)
- HSMXpress CAM integrated into SolidWorks 2016
- Morgan Press - 10 Ton injection molding machine (Arlington VA TechShop)
- Using ABS, PC or PVA plastic
- Using 6061-T6 Aluminum for the mold halves.
All the tutorials I have found go too far, producing interesting but complex parts involving molds with pulls and inserts that would normally be made by professional mold makers.
I need a soup to nuts mold design tutorial to make a simple part (think thimble or key fob, anything with a cavity) that takes into account:
- the mold will be fabricated using commonly available end mills (flat, ball, with/without taper) out of 6061 Aluminum
- HSMXpress CAM add-in will be used to create the Tormach CAM file (2.5D)
- shrinkage for the selected plastic (usually ABS)
- gate, feeder, sink issues relative to Morgan Molding machine (http://www.instructables.com/files/orig/FLI/4UVB/INYS3D1A/FLI4UVBINYS3D1A.jpg)
If I can find a "recipe" for creating a mold for a simple part then I can progress onto more complex parts.
If this does not exist, I am willing to put one together if I can get help with the first part: creating the mold.
Thanks, David Wurmfeld, Arlington, VA