2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 11:35 PM by Gian Flavio Violi

Creating an overlay

Jim Sullivan

Can Solidworks automatically draw phantom lines to show the minimum and maximum for a given dimension. 

If not, is there a macro that would draw phantom lines representing the minimum and maximum dimensions for a parts.

I want to create an overlay of a drawing for a comparitor so quality control can quickly measure parts.  

• Re: Creating an overlay
          Anna Wood

You need to attach your part files.

Here is an example.

I have a helper asm that I drop my part into.  There is a sketch in the part that defines the boundaries.  1 to 1 scale.  The assembly has the custom properties for the drawing.  Our chart has it own part number.

Create a drawing and add a view at whatever scale is required.  My chart was 50X, so my view is 50:1 scale.  Show the sketch in the view and use Convert Entities in the slddrw view to create your line work that will be tied to your cad data sketch.

No auto-magically create macros that I am aware of.

• Re: Creating an overlay
            Gian Flavio Violi

Hello Jim,

There are several ways to achieve this. However, I would like more insight on how your part is modeled and what exactly do you want to do before I recommend a way forward.

Regards,

GF