AnsweredAssumed Answered

What is the best way to do lever design in assemblies?

Question asked by Roark Summerford on Nov 3, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 by Arthur McRae

Howdy,

Been using solidworks for 10+ years since engineering school. I've only recently started using the virtual parts in assembly to create "complex" items.

Most of what I do can be boiled down to lever design.

To start I will open a new assembly.

insert new part1^4barasm.

edit that part1, and will typically start a sketch that is a multi position lever synthesis. What I end up is a static sketch with the Open and closed position of a .... say a door. But there is a mess of 4 bar linkage connecting the open and closed position.

I leave that initial synthesis sketch alone. MAYBE if its a fixed component, like a mounting base or something I might use that first virtual part1 to actually model something, but usually not. It's sole job is the base pattern for everything else.

After that I will create virtual parts of each link bar, (ie part2^4barasm) convert entities from the synthesis sketch from part1 for say the closed position.

End result is a beautiful modeled multipart assembly in the closed position, but it can't move.

I do not want to break the link to the original sketch so I can tweak the mechanism if needed. 

So far my answer has been copy and hide the original instance of the parts and mate them together creating a moving assembly under a "moving" configuration along with a "static original" config.

That's not the end of the world for a 4 bar linkage...

but I'm working an a huge mess right now that the pattern part is 30 megabyte with nothing it but 3Dsketch1. and I just got kicked into large assembly mode for just the initial "static original" parts.

Am I Missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Outcomes