10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2008 1:11 AM by Mike Puckett

Adding 'Apply' Button to System Options Page

Mike Puckett
      When you make changes to anything in the options in SW and then hit ok, the changes take effect instantly. How ever if SW crashes before you exit, and then restart the software, the changes get lost. It seems that the changes to the options dont get written to the registry or coresponding file until SW gets shut down properly.

Is there a way to add an apply button to the options page so the changes would get written instantly? We were having this discussion over on twitter, and we were all wondering if this would be possible within the software?

Anyone from SW wanna give their input?

Any other users see it as a benefit to have this?
        • Adding 'Apply' Button to System Options Page
          Andy Sanders
          I would also like to see this as I've been burned by it as well.

Good suggestion!
              Don Vanzile

A coworker of mine just got done telling me he keeps changing options and things in his session and he has to keep going back and changing them. I had asked if he properly closed his session or did it crash after he applied them. Turns out he crashed and he just thought the software just was a piece of sh*t just because it didn't retain his changed options! lol Now he closes after his changes and the crashes don't bother him as much. Does that sound silly or what!!!???

Don
                  John Sweeney
                  >It seems that the changes to the options dont get written to the registry or coresponding file until SW gets shut down properly.

Hi Mike,
                  I took a look at this and found an inconsistency in our code. When you hit OK, we actually do write the new registry values immediately if a document is currently open. However, if you use Tools-Options with no documents open, then we don't write the values until you exit SolidWorks (the changes are kept in memory for your working session). So, if SolidWorks were to crash then the changes would not be saved to the registry, and thus the settings would not be restored on restarting SolidWorks. Does this sound like your scenario?

This problem was fixed in SW2009 Alpha and the registry values are saved immediately on hitting OK for both scenarios. Please let me know if this doesn't cover the cases where you see lost option settings, or if you still this issue in SW 2009?

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
                  John
                      Wayne Tiffany
                      This is excellent news! I have long "suffered" as a result of losing changes because of crashing out, and had come to the conclusion that to ensure changes were indeed saved, I would have to close SW without crashing. I realize that crashing out isn't good either, but I'll take this reg step as it may be fixed. Thanks.

WT
                        Jarod Pulo
                        This is also the case for toolbars and shortcut keys. We've only just installed 2008 and found that if Solidworks crashes before being closed properly they are lost as well.

Most unimpressed after tweaking hotkeys for 30 minutes.
                            John Sweeney
                            Hi Jarod,
                            Good point. It looks like we also have a similar inconsistency in the Tools Customize dialog. However, in my testing of 2008 SP3 and 2009 SP0, I found that any Menus, Keyboard or Options tab changes are saved immediately, while the Toolbars and Commands tab changes are not saved until exiting SolidWorks. Your keyboard shortcut changes should have been saved for your next session of SolidWorks even if SolidWorks crashed at some point after your changes... Do you recall if keyboard changes were lost too, or just toolbar and toolbar button (commands) changes?

I've written up SPR 457083 to address the problem with the "Toolbars" and "Commands" tab. I realize how frustrating it can be to lose all the customization work you may have done during a session... If this can be safely fixed in a 2009 service pack, we will get a fix in as soon as possible.

Thanks for your input.

-John
                                Mike Puckett
                                John,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this matter. As you can see it is a source of some frustration for a variety of users. Its great news to hear that the issue was resolved in regards to tools > options, and also glad to hear its been submitted for toolbars and commands tabs.

I, like the others look forward to seeing the complete resolution to this (fingers crossed on the spr!).
                                  Jarod Pulo
                                  John: Yep, you're spot on. Just did a bit of testing this morning and keyboard shortcuts are saved straight away, but toolbars and commandtabs aren't.

And yep, if you can get this fixed it'd be super cool :-)
                                      John Sweeney
                                      Hi All,
                                      I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that we believe we have fixed the issue with toolbar customization getting lost if you don't successfully close SolidWorks after making your changes. This means that moving toolbar positions, adding/removing buttons, etc will now be written immediately to the registry.

The bad news is that this turned out to be a rather large code change because there are so many ways to customize the toolbars, cmdMgr tabs, shortcut bars, etc. etc. This type of change is not typically put into our shipping product because of the level of risk vs. reward. So, the plan is to ship this fix with SW 2010.

As we discussed earlier, all other customization (Tools-Options, Tools-Customize (Menus, Keyboard or Options tabs)) should be geting saved immediately in SW2009.

Thanks for everyone's input...

Best Regards,
                                      John