10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2017 9:36 AM by Austin Broeker

Balloon leaders are not centered

Austin Broeker

We just upgraded to SW 2017 from 2015 and now we are having a problem with bent leaders not being centered on circular split-line balloons. Is this a bug, did SW change their balloon standards, or do I need to somehow update a balloon "template" to the 2017 version?

The leader still connects to the center for standard circular balloons, and a coworker discovered that switching the leader type to "multi-jog" fixes the problem, but this was never an issue when we had 2015. I've tried going into the document options and playing with the balloon standards, but I can't find anything that affects where the leader attaches vertically. It also looks like the leader changes its location depending on which side of the balloon it's attached to, but not depending on whether it's pointing up or down.

I've also tried playing with all of the individual balloon properties. The option that looks like it could solve this problem is grayed out. I've even tried un-selecting all of the "use document display" boxes, but to no avail.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any insight as to why this would have changed from previous versions (we skipped 2016 so I don't know if it was an issue in that build)? Should I just make the multi-jog leader our new standard?

Thanks,

Austin

• Re: Balloon leaders are not centered
          Glenn Schroeder

I'm not seeing that.  Here's a screenshot with my settings if you want to compare it to yours.

Austin Broeker

In case anyone out there was curious, I called our VAR about this to see if they might know anything and the only thing they were able to offer me was to try launching Solidworks while bypassing the tools & options settings by opening it through Solidworks Rx. Doing this solved our problem, so that means it has to be the result of one of our options changing during the upgrade - I've yet to figure out which option that is though... I'll update my post once I find the time to dig around and figure it out.

Rick McDonald

Austin Broeker, I would suggest that you use the "Copy Settings Wizard" to save your current settings so that you can go back to what you had if you make changes that don't work or cause problems and you don't know what change caused the problem.

I make a habit of saving the entire list (as shown above) in a directory for my configuration backups.

You can specify the name you want to save the file as - and I always put the date in the name and for the full backup I will also put "Full" in the name.

Then I will deselect all but 1 option and again save with the date and the option that is still checked in the file name.

I do this for each option (except I will combine the Keyboard and Mouse Gestures in one file).

This way, after I make a change or especially an upgrade, I can restore my full settings and only new options will change or be added (automatically).

Then save again on the upgrade with the full settings.

Then, if you make any changes after the upgrade and have to restore (as the condition you have now) you can one by one replace the options until you find the one that fixes the problem you have - then you can compare what is different and find the exact cause.

Saves a lot of trial and error experimenting changing options.

Peter Brinkhuis

I agree that backing up your settings works wonders, certainly because most people customize the crap out of SolidWorks. I don't understand why you save a file for each checkbox though. When importing the full set of settings, you can select which settings you want to import from your backup. Why not choose the appropriate settings there?

Rick McDonald

Peter Brinkhuis,

In general, I agree that saving the individual elements is un-necessary, but there are time that I will try some changes to see if I like them better and if I don't like some but do like other, but don't remember what I changed - I can roll back just the area that pertains to the changes I want to reset without changing the others.

It also helps when suddenly something goes wackie and you want to try to figure out what setting caused it, you can restore an earlier version where you did not see it and narrow down the are or selection more easily that caused the problem.

I had an experience after an upgrade and where I made some changes and didn't see the problem for a few months and didn't know what was the cause and I was easily able to narrow it down while keeping most of my settings for other areas.

And by doing this, I could change and then restore easily the things that did not cause the problem.

Austin Broeker

We have a backup copy of our settings saved in our PDM vault. I know that SW isn't always the greatest about maintaining the intended options in a settings file after an upgrade, so I'm guessing something got tweaked while using the wizard to restore my settings after the upgrade.

Austin Broeker

I finally found the time to investigate this further while updating our templates. It seems that un-checking the "Display notes flat to screen" option was the culprit:

Checking this box seems to have fixed the problem. Our balloon leaders are back where they should be: