9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 3:31 PM by Devon Berman

Dimensioning holes with center marks

John Christensen

When dimensioning holes with center marks, is there way to avoid selecting the center mark lines without having to zoom in in order to specifically select the geometry around it.  And, also, why would there be an ability to apply an angle dim to a center mark.  Why would such a thing be needed, at least the way default center mark lines appear.  The times I do need the type of angle shown I would rather create construction geometry and dimension to that. Or purposely lengthen a center line and dimension to that. I know in the drawing options center marks can be excluded on drawing creation.  But when receiving drawings from others, it seems like many times I'm putting angles on the marks, or zooming in and out to pick geometry only, or just going through and deleting them all together.

1.jpg

• Re: Dimensioning holes with center marks
          John Stoltzfus

I would uncheck this option - I was thinking there is another one as well..... but try this

Glenn Schroeder

It has to do with where you click on the centermark.  If you click on the leg that's perpendicular to the other edge selected you'll get an angle dimension (though I agree it's meaningless).  If you'll click on the leg that's parallel to the other edge then you'll get the linear dimension.

Tom Gagnon

Control what layer the center marks appear on, then toggling visibility of that layer as needed.

Edit: Another thing I'd do is dimension to the arm of the center mark which is parallel to the line dimensioned to. It's often easier to grab than zooming into the hole edge geometry. I do that usually. Edit again: What Glenn said.

I found this setting, but also think that since it is a document property, it won't affect all drawings created by others until you set it as such. Even so, I haven't gotten it to actually create the new annotations on the assigned layer in any drawing I've worked on. It doesn't seem to apply retroactively to annotations already created, either. Even with this setting, my new annotation will be created on the current layer, not the C layer. This may be a bug (ref. 2016 SP3), or I may be doing it wrong.

centermarks.JPG

John S., I think that what you are referring to is the centerpoints in a sketch viewed in a drawing, not the center marks created in a drawing. I don't think that is what John C. is after.

Tony Cantrell

Hit the F5 key select filter edges add dimensions (dont forget to turn filters off then F5 to hide bar).

John Christensen

"Display sketch arc centerpoints" I think applies to sketches only.

Picking the center mark line parallel does work.  Sometimes there are a lot of holes though, and sometimes they are tiny.  I did try using filters, but am then wondering why something as basic as dimensioning a hole to an edge would require excess filters, and maybe not the other way around - filter center marks only if needed and pick hole centers by default.

2.jpg

Devon Berman

This may be up for debate, but for a part like that, I don't think you should be dimensioning to the holes at all.  All of those should be handled by a hole table.

John Christensen

Just an example.  I did go with hole tables on that part.

Devon Berman

One quick solution is to use ordinate dimensions.  Ordinate dimensions don't care about the orientation of hole centers.  See the pic below where it grabs hole centers parallel to whatever your reference/0 plane is.

Edit: After closer inspection, the angled ordinate set isn't grabbing the center mark, it seems to be grabbing a tangency of the hole.  Don't do that, it'll be expensive.

Ordinate dimensions.PNG

If you don't like ordinate dims, then like Glenn said, you'll have to click on the parallel leg of the hole center mark.  And as far as I can tell, Smart Dimensions only work with vertical/horizontal starting lines.  When I tried to Smart dimension from the chamfer in my test, I only got angular dimensions in multiples of 45deg.

I'm glad to hear it you didn't dimension every hole on that sheet.  That part with a bunch of projection lines would be a nightmare to read for a shop.

Steven Dod

We use center marks and I encourage our users to dimension to them rather than the hole to maintain the gap for the leader line.  That being said, you can disable the automatic creation of the center marks (if it is on), add your dimensions first, then add the center marks when ready.  When adding the center marks there is a checkbox "For all holes" that will add them all at once.  This will work in the example above since there are no connecting lines but if you want connecting lines using the "For all holes" can get weird results sometimes.

Steve