7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2016 8:02 AM by Paul Risley

How to set a flange height in a F&D head?

Wesley Grimes

I am trying to set some nozzle flange heights in a F&D head they are lap joint flanges. I am having trouble getting the height set on them. attached is a snip of the flange that I have tried to get to work. I created a concentric mate between the hole in the head, and the stub end. When I try to create a distance mate it throws an error.fd head.JPG

• Re: How to set a flange height in a F&D head?
          John Stoltzfus

Distant mate from where to where? Top of the stub to the flange??  It appears that the Stub End Cut isn't parallel with the flange, you can pick the top of the stub and the origin of the flange and use a distant mate, but you'll have to adjust that dimension for the right alignment between the two..

Wesley Grimes

I am basically having to redesign a tank that is now being built to API 620 the old dimensions that I  have are no longer valid as the head has changed. I am trying to determine how much nozzle I will need before the stub end while knowing how much the tank is going to have to shorten elevation wise as they do not want to redo the piping going to the flanges

Paul Risley

(This is done on the smaller part at part level)On the bottom of the flange of the smaller part put a sketch, use center lines from the center of the flange out to the edge of the smaller part.

(At assembly level)

Keep your concentric mate in your assembly, turn your sketch view on if it is not already that way. Pick a point on the bottom of your flange sketch from above hold ctrl and pick your surface. Select coincident as your mate.

You may have to align a plane of the smaller part to get the proper position, but once that is done any changes to the bigger flange will constrain the movement of the smaller part to it.

Wesley Grimes

I am primarily a AutoCAD guy. My current company does not have 3d AutoCAD so I am having to use Solidworks to do this. I do not know how to turn on sketch view

Paul Risley

SCREENSHOT1.png

Drop down box selects view options there are a ton of options for viewing and tools to use from this selection. Middle of the right side is where you will find view sketches, this is key as if you have sketches in your part that are unabsorbed they are usually visible by default unless you hid them in the part level. You can also turn on sketches that are absorbed by a feature and then turn this on in your assembly to see them.

The main reason it is off for most people as a default is because of purchased parts(Mcmaster Carr) is a good example of visible sketched parts. 

Tom Gagnon

I thought of something similar to Paul, unless I misunderstand. It's late in the day and I feel like I'm rambling.

I have similar mate issues when placing a bulkhead on a domed top plastic tank. Reference geometry will help you a lot. I can define a point as concentric (to flange), coincident (to dish), and distant (from flange) from other entities. Place sketches upon significant planes or faces in the simple part to mate with the complex shaped part, even if the sketch only contains one point. I like naming it something useful like "Placement Sketch", and having the only point being the very first and only entity added to the sketch, resulting in the exact point being named, "Point1@Placement_Sketch". Consistent entity names are helpful when replacing one similar part with another.

You can place reference points on the surface of the head as well, and use AlongY mate to locate one point vertical from the other. I guess it depends on how complicated it's getting. Having this allows something like a Layout Sketch on the major object, and aligned Placement sketches on minor objects added to it.

You can toggle visibility of any sketch by RMB in feature manager tree, and selecting either glasses or eyeball icon, depending on your SW license year version. A sketch absorbed to a feature can be shown by expanding the feature and RMB as above.

Edit: UI sketch visibility must also be enabled, toggled by View > Hide/Show > Sketches.

John Stoltzfus

I use a Master Sketch Part in every design project and for this project I would have a plane and a sketch showing the location and create the part from that info and mate to those references, so much easier..