9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 4:16 PM by Reno Simpson

What method would you use for doing this

Reno Simpson

I have an assembly of our new [facility] exterior/ interior walls, slab and roof.

I have a subassembly of [processing equipment], some parts and some assemblies of parts.

I need to freely move (ie no mates) the parts and subassemblies of the [processing equipment]

to various locations for different layouts.

I have tried configurations which does not work unless you use mates otherwise the part stays where it was last moved to regardless of the configuration.

Is their any other lightweight way to do this for say 20 different layouts/ configurations.  Is inserting as 'virtual' the best option for this?

I also need to suppress parts such as walls and other things if that makes any difference..      

• Re: What method would you use for doing this
          Glenn Schroeder

That sounds like it might be tailor-made for the new Magnetic Mate feature in SW2017.

Logan Pegler

As Glenn mentions, Magnetic Mates in 2017 will be exactly what you need. I'd consider upgrading for this alone as 2016 doesn't have a neat solution for you.

If you must stay with 2016 then I'd suggest creating speedpak's of your subassemblies, mate to the ground and then you'll need to either apply mates or use the move/rotate commands to locate the machinery.

To show different layouts you'll need to use configurations + mates or manage them in separate files. Again this would be more streamlined with Magnetic Mates, but do-able manually in 2016.

Casey Bergman

I personally wouldn't use the same sub-assemblies in different locations.  I would put multiple instances of the sub-assembly in and suppress the one I am not using in the current configuration.  It is easier for me to do it this way instead of figuring out which mates are needed.

Reno Simpson

This is what i have been doing but was i was using pack-n- go which became a nightmare real quick especially since my current file system is terrible.

I have since removed all the pack-n-go's and replaced them with import as virtual which is much nicer.

I think between your method and using speedpak as Logan suggested is probably the ticket.

Make the subassembly from speedpak parts and then import multiple virtual subassemblies into my assembly/ floorplan and suppress the subassembly layouts in different configurations.

Thanks

Thomas Voetmann

In SW2016 I suggest you use Mate Controller instead of Mate. It is more lightweight.

Another approach is to make a control part with a layout sketch (on Top plane) containing points constrained by dimensions. One point for each equipment. The populate your control part with different layouts as configurations.

In each equipment make a center axis and mate this to the corresponding point and mate the equipment to the floor plane.

Then by changing the referenced configuration in the control part you activate a new layout.

If you need to control the equipment elevation you might use a wall sketch in the control part and change the assembly mate scheme.

This way you get a way more lightweight and workable solution.

John Stoltzfus

A layout Sketch Part as your master would work very well, however it takes a little more thought going into it.

This is what I would do...

1. Create a master Sketch Part that would be your overall layout with every possible wall location and equipment layout
                    2. For each scenario I would create folders and insert all the sketches, planes and other information in a folder
                    3. Then create sub-assemblies for the equipment layout and the first item in the sub-assembly is the master Sketch Part
                    4. Create sub-assemblies for your different wall layouts, again the first item in the sub-assembly is the master Sketch Part
                    5. Try and create your sub-assemblies as Zones, you do all your work in that Zone, all the geometry is connected to the main Sketch Part
                    6. After you created all of your different possible zones you open a new Assembly, this would be your master Assembly
                    7. Now you can drop in all of your sub-assemblies, they will snap in without any mates
                    8. Suppress and un-suppress the sub-assemblies for your different layouts to give you the 20 different variations
                    9. You can pack & go the final assembly to different file names if you want, once they narrow down the final few layouts..

I have a rough draft of my workflow doing it this way..