4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 1:50 PM by Kevin Piper

FEA Unable to Probe a Welded Region?

Kevin Piper

Greetings,

I am performing an FEA analysis on a heavily welded structure and am unable to use the probe tool on any edge that contains a weld.  When clicking on a welded region to probe it the "click" is registered where I click, but about a foot away from the model revealing no data.  If I rotate the camera view about where I clicked for the probe, it will rotate about that point a foot away from the model and that is where the little "cross" is representing where I clicked for a probe (see attached images).  I have the ability to recreate this at will using welded regions so others must be having this issue.  What is the work-around for this currently?

I also attached a simple example that illustrates this in case anyone hasn't run into the issue previously.  I tried using the "pack and go" feature which kept crashing the software so abandoned that and just attached the part/assembly files.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

• Re: FEA Unable to Probe a Welded Region?
          Siavash Khajehhasani

This is not a bug; in fact, this is not the appropriate way to simulate weld. Suppress the Weld Bead in the feature manager design tree, then run simulation and you can prob. If you want to simulate weld then right click on connection folder and define the weld in simulation.

• Re: FEA Unable to Probe a Welded Region?
              Kevin Piper

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that I am still learning the capabilities of SolidWorks Simulation.  I must have misunderstood when the weld feature was explained to me.  Creating those weld beads in the feature tree did impact my results, however, would you know if these are just ballpark figures when using that feature or if the program is just throwing random numbers out?  I tried using the weld feature you mentioned but it doesn't let me click on any of my faces to define the first face set and it doesn't allow me to click any edges to identify in that "edge" box either.