11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 11:41 AM by David Faszer

Graphics View zooming when hovering over Design Tree

David Faszer

I recently switch companies and am still working out setting up my profile. I am using SW 2016, SP 4.0 (previous company was SP 3.0).

One thing that I am noticing that I didn't at my previous company, is that when I select a component in the graphics view (usually just a face of the component), and then hover over the design tree and use my mouse wheel to scroll up or down (looking for a second component to select), it will zoom in and out the graphics window instead of scrolling the design tree. One thing that I find odd about it, is that it only does it on some assemblies, but not all of them. To my knowledge, all the assemblies I have used are created the same. I have also created two independent assemblies (using the same assembly templates) where one has this problem while the other does not. And it does not seem to matter what size the assembly is. It happens to both large and small assemblies.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

• Re: Graphics View zooming when hovering over Design Tree
          David Faszer

3 Months have passed an no suggestions?

S. Casale

This is associated with SPR 968986.

Disregard

David Faszer

Yes, that is checked.

With it checked, when I select a face, the component in the feature tree is highlighted and zoomed to (otherwise, it does nothing to the feature tree). After selecting the face, I would want to scroll up in the tree so that I can find the parent assembly of that component (or two or three parent assemblies up), but when I hover over the tree in order to scroll, it zooms the graphics window.

David Faszer

Just tried a couple more things.

1) When I select an edge or a vertex, I can hover over the tree and scroll like normal, but the component is not selected in the tree, so this does me no good.

2) Select the face, use breadcrumbs to select the component (the component is selected and zoomed to in the tree), hover over the design tree and scroll, the graphics window zooms.

3) Select the face, select the component in the design tree that was highlighted, scrolling functions like normal in the design tree.

3a) If I hover over the graphics area after selecting the component in the design tree, the graphics area zooms like normal.

3b) When I move back over to the tree, from the graphics window and scroll, the tree scrolls like normal (without having to make an additional mouse click).

3c) Back over to the graphics area again. If I pan in the graphics window (still not clicking anything other than ctrl+MMB), and then go back to the tree and scroll, the graphics window zooms.

Tried this with a stand alone part file (outside of an assembly) as well. When I select a feature in the graphics window, hover over the tree and scroll, the tree behaves as normal.

I tried this again with a new assembly using my assembly template and the same error occurs. I also tried using the default template that comes with SW (C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS\lang\english\Tutorial\.assem.asmdot) with the same problem. If I open an existing assembly that was created before I started working here, everything functions as normal.

David

Rick McDonald

To see if it is caused by one of the settings you made in OPTIONS,

First, use the Copy Settings Wizard and save all your current settings,

Then, got to SolidWorks Rx and use the selection near the bottom to run with the default settings (not using your Options settings).

See if that corrects the problem.

If it does, then the problem has to do with a setting or combination of settings you made that is different than the defaults.

You can then go back to the Copy Settings Wizard and restore your settings.

Then try changing settings until you find the problem.

If you mess things up and can't find your way back you can always go back to the copy of your settings and again restore the settings.

David Faszer

I found the option to run SW in safe mode, bypassing the tools/options settings and everything works how it is suppose to. I then opened a second instance of SW (same time as the safe mode), using my standard settings in order to compare the differences between the two options (one being safe mode and one being normal). Both instances were running the same model, again, the safe mode works just fine while the normal does not. When comparing the system options, I couldn't find anything different between the two (except for minor differences like enabling the freeze bar). I did not check the document properties as both instances have the same file open, and so those should be the same.

I also tried resetting my settings by using the reset button on the bottom of systems options page, and that did not work.

I sent an email to my VAR before I left work yesterday, and their suggestion was to clear my registry for SW and so I will try that next.

David

David Faszer

OK, so I think I have finally figured it out.

Here is what I did:

I reset the registry per the suggestion of my VAR, opened up my test assembly that I have been using, and everything works like it should. I then closed out of SW, restored my user settings, and opened the test assembly. Everything works as it should again. I then used the feature "make assembly from part/assembly", and it is back to its old ways of not working correctly (not sure why it started to work correctly when I opened my test assembly; it wasn't before).

So I started over. Reset the registry and opened the test file, and everything works. Made an assembly with the test assembly in it (using the default assembly template), everything still works just fine. I then went into my system options, and re-pointed the default file location of the assembly template to our templates. I then created an assembly with my old template, and the error is happening again. So at this point, it appears that the assembly template is corrupt and it would probably be easier to recreate it than trying to trouble shoot it more.

David