12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 10:35 AM by Brian Hillner

Performance poll

Jason Robertson

Hello all!

My company's IT department is currently budgeting for next year and it has come to my attention that the graphics card I currently use could stand to be beefed up a bit since my renders have been taking quite some time to finish.

Have any of you folks had luck getting high definition video with high pass counts in under 24 hours for "Quality" renders? If so, what is your machines' specs?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Kindest regards,

Jason

• Re: Performance poll
          Michael Lord

Jason,

You didn't say what you were using for your renders.

If you are using PhotoView then it is all about clock speed (CPU) and number of cores.  There are options in regards to dedicated render farms

Rendering and Simulation

http://centralinnovation.com.au/product/ic3d-maxrender-ii/

If you are using Visualize then you can benefit from GPU from your Graphic Cards

Both PhotoView & Visualize can also use "Network Rendering"

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Network-Rendering-in-Solidworks-2016-745/

Visualize Professional has a network feature "Boost"

SOLIDWORKS Visualization | Visualize Professional | SOLIDWORKS

Brian Hillner

Hi Jason,

I would suggest at least an NVIDIA M4000 to help accelerate your renders. While it's not a requirement, dual M4000 machine would truly help improve your workflow.

Please see the benchmarking and findings within this article by a SW Reseller. They compare several NVIDIA cards together, and you could extrapolate direct performance benefits compared to the current system you have.

SOLIDWORKS Visualize - Graphics performance NVIDIA Quadro

Here is a chart that explains relative performance gains with NVIDIA GPUs:

Jason Robertson

Awesome! Thank you for the info, Brian! I will forward this on to our IT department. Out of curiosity, could the Quadro M4000 be paired with the Quadro K2000 I currently have in my machine to nudge up my performance gains further than what is listed for the M4000 card alone, or must the M4000 be paired with another M4000 for that performance gain to be achieved. My current machine has slots available for multiple cards and has a fairly robust power supply, according to our IT department.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge in these areas. My familiarity with the inner workings of Windows-based machines is limited to say the least.

Thank you kindly once again for your response!

Kindest regards,

Jason

Brian Hillner

Hi Jason,

Happy to help. It's recommended to keep all the GPUs in one machine of the same chip generation. So mixing a Kepler card with a Maxwell card isn't recommended.

Basically, the more money one invests in their Visualize machine(s), the more content that can be generated, which accelerates the project through the development process...or in your case, allows you to create a ton more content for your marketing team to eat up

For accounts with multiple Visualize users, it really makes sense to crazy spec out one dedicated machine (4x - 8x GPUs) and then send all Visualize render jobs to that one awesome workhorse of a machine. This allows the individual users' machine to have adequate GPU, and places the majority of the investment into a single machine. This workflow is called Visualize Boost, and was just launched this week with the rest of the SW 2017 products.

One complimentary seat of Visualize Boost is included with each seat of Visualize Professional on active Subscription! So if you have 5 seats of Visualize Pro on active Subs, then you receive 5 complimentary seats of Visualize Boost...which is a rather larger render farm!

Barry Shapiro

BTW, Nvidia just released updated Quadro cards. The new P series.

Quadro GPUs for Desktop and Mac Pro Workstations | NVIDIA

I think the P5000 is going to be hit the sweet spot. $2,499.

Biggest advantage is 16GB of ram and the new processor smokes the old one. If your looking to build a new machine I would look into that. The issue with multiple M4000s is that you are limited to 8GB of ram as the system only uses as much ram as is available in the card with the most ram. I think Brian can elaborate. If you are rendering stuff like me with crazy high polygon count you well run into issues where you might not with a card that has more Ram. You can't add ram after. You can always add another card like an M4000 to distribute the rendering to for additional cores but if you have very large files, go big if you can.

I suspect these new P series are going to give performance more like a VCA. This would still cost less then a 2 processor system for CPU rendering.

Brian Hillner

If I could "multi-Like" this comment, I would   Great feedback, Barry. Your comment about a crazy fast P5000 is still less than a 2-CPU workstation is right on.

If your models are massive and/or have high polygon counts, then we definitely recommend getting an NVIDIA card with the highest VRAM your budget will allow. Another test is if your Visualize experience feels sluggish in 'Preview' mode (note I didn't say Fast or Accurate), especially when moving the camera. This means your graphics card is nearing the memory (VRAM) limits. With Fast and Accurate modes, if it feels sluggish, that means you need to improve the rendering speed of your NVIDIA graphics card (NVIDIA calls this spec CUDA cores). The more CUDA cores, the faster it will render in Fast and Accurate modes.

The polygon count can be found at the bottom of the Visualize screen in the Heads Up Display:

A good benchmark is 5 million polygons per 1GB of VRAM on your graphics card. So if you have an NVIDIA M2000 with has 4GB VRAM, then the max is around 20 million polygons. Of course there are other factors that we can't know, like how many other programs you have open, Windows service pack installed, etc...so this benchmarking gauge can vary in reality. But still a good benchmark, nonetheless.

The best test is to import your own data and see what performance experience you will have. Sluggish? Then time to upgrade your graphics card. Oh, and by the way, a very happy bi-product of upgrading your GPU is the crazy render speed improvements for Visualize!

Brian Hillner

I am very curious to hear from the rest of the Visualize community...

What graphics cards and machine specs is everyone using to create all this awesome content???

THANKS!

Michael Lord

In the perfect world it would be this. IC3D just for Visualize!

IC3D.JPG

IC3DM4000x7.JPG

Brian Hillner

That would INSTANTLY boost anyone's Visualize workflow! Once someone gets a taste of a multi-GPU machine with Visualize, it's really tough to go back. It's seriously night and day.

With budget planning happening for the 2017 calendar year around this time of year, I challenge everyone out there to ask their manager, IT dept, CFO, whomever, for their dream Visualize workstation. Whoever has their finger on the trigger for your budget, just simply paint a picture of how much more work you could get done in the same amount of time. A $5k or $10k investment pays for itself within the first month of the next project.

Use this article as a benchmarking guide to extrapolate figures for your own workflow. For example, you are using a single K2200 and it takes 5 hours to render a 10 second long animation. Upgrading your system to a 2x M4000 system could knock out the same 10 second long animation in 2 hours.

Or in the same hardware scenario, you can render 4 images a day with K2200, or 12 images with the 2x M4000.

Fingers crossed you can convince your budget keepers! It will seriously open up new visualization possibilities, especially with all the cool new render outputs we have planned for 2018