3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 7:25 AM by Pedro García

Propeller boundary boss/base problem

David Lake

Hello,

I am trying to model a propeller by boundary boss/base, so I have created several twisted and scaled airfoil sections and a couple of guide splines.

Detail of the tips:

When I select the guides in the first direction it seems to be all OK:

But when I select one of the guides in the second direction the model twist in one of the tips and I can't do anything to move the connectors. If I continue to add the second guide in the second direction the model don't even show up.

Thank you

• Re: Propeller boundary boss/base problem
          Matt Wallace

I think you are trying to do too much with one feature, and are running into a underlying divide by zero issue at the tips.  Select all your sections as direction 1 and you should get your blade, and then create the tips with other means.  Although I would be tempted to build your blade past the tips and then trim it back.

Christian Chu

Are you going to use Guide1 and Guide2 for guide curves? if so, you'd have a problem of self-intersection geometry

and As Matt suggested, you'd better break it into small sections; otherwise, its hard to use one feature for all

Pedro García

Hello david,

I looked at your sktches and have some splines problems, i think,

it is becoming over defined when i try convert and add more divisions points,

what matt sad its true.

my tips for you:

try rebuild your splines to something like that:

I remade it  with two splines and you need to do all sktches  with the same number off "divions/points" it is important to use loft or bondary surfaces

001.jpg

to better results remember to do the guide lines in "center of tangency out" i dont know how splain that

take a look (you can use 3D splines for that) for exeple:

004.jpg

when you goint to build a surface try use "selection manager" to select only top section and build only the haf surface:

002.jpg

after that make another side using the surfaces lines and add tangency contition

003.jpg

the ends lines I whould do something like that to avoid some futute problem with your surface (like shell tool)

005.jpg

(video)

SolidWorks Surfacing: Avoiding Degenerate Surfaces - SolidWorks Training by SolidWize - YouTube :

I think this should be enough to fix your model.

Pedro Garcia