6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 3:14 PM by Craig Schultz

PDM Professional File Viewer Add-In

Aaron Heathcote

Our company is just about to install PDM Professional an I have just completed the training.

One thing I did notice that there is no vault add-in which you can drag and drop your stock components from the vault into SolidWorks like you can with Workgroup PDM.

We currently use Workgroup PDM and all of our users like the add-in where we can drag and drop our stock parts from the vault straight to the assembly within SolidWorks. I have been looking at using the design library instead which we could link to the vault when we install but the problem is that the design library shows the parts by their name and doesn't give the option to display them by the description of the part? Is there an option to change that the design library shows the description instead of the file name?

SolidWorks suggested using a second monitor (one for SolidWorks and one for having the Windows explorer/vault open but none of our SolidWorks users have dual screens so its not something we want to do at this time.

How do you guys go about simply importing stock parts to an assembly, would be good to get some ideas of what other people do.

• Re: PDM Professional File Viewer Add-In
          Steve Ostrovsky

First, if your users don't have dual screens, change that right away. There's too much information to fit on a single screen unless it's super wide. Dual screens do offer you the option of having the Windows Explorer as you mentioned on one screen and SolidWorks on another so they can interact with having to ALT+TAB back and forth.

There's no method to change the display of the Design Library. One advantage of having the Design Library in the PDM Pro vault is that you can set the local cache to refresh so your users all have the data on their local machine. This will help with large assembly performance.

By the way, it's an extra step, but you also have the search option in the PDM Add-in within SolidWorks. You can setup a very simple and quick search that will facilitate what you need. May even realize you find what you need even faster by running searches instead of hunting and pecking through folders and files.