10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 2:53 PM by Tom Gagnon

Custom Properties

Michael Konyak

So this is an interesting question. 

We have all our drawing information populated from the Part/Assembly file.  Someone made the suggestion to change the revision from the Part/Assembly file to the Drawing. 

Does anyone see what problems this will cause?   I'm guessing it's just preference but why change something that has been working for years?

Thanks

• Re: Custom Properties
          Anna Wood

What problem do they think they are trying to solve?

Why change what has been working?

Would need to be a very compelling reason that solves a problem and not create a new set of headaches.

FWIW....

John Stoltzfus

Keep all part related custom properties with the part and all assembly custom properties with the assembly, period.

If you change it to where all the info is in the drawing and there are no custom properties in the part file, here is where the issue is, that part doesn't have any individuality anymore, no revision levels, no description, no nothing...  So you build a new assembly and you want the same part that's used in another assembly, so you bring it in, now if you show that part in a BOM, now what, it's all hand typing from there, because all the info is in the drawing file, you don't insert drawings into an assembly you insert Parts...

Just my 2 cents.........

Tom Gagnon

I don't see that this would cause problems as long as you update all templates and sheet formats to point to the new location of custom property. If you have dozens of templates/sheet formats, this could be time-consuming.

As with any from-now-on decision, there will be a before- and after- condition for all stored work. I'd say whatever is changed, make sure it's both thoroughly implemented into defaults and communicated to all data users (broader than just the software users, like including fabricators, assemblers, etc.). Every new user from-now-on will also need to be educated about the historical change and its impact, which can very easily be overlooked in orientation until the user goes and messes something up.

Also beware of data re-use on obsolete sheet formats w/o applying a new template, such as: open old project, save as new project, ignore changes, pass along the error.

We only display rev property of the drawing file on our drawings, as one assembly can be used to populate various documents which need revised independently in our case. We do have similar, redundant references in the assemblies, but they are for reference only and less controlled because they are not displayed. Parts get FirstUsedIn property to point to a project ID. Assemblies get InitialDesignBy, InitialDesignDate, LastRevBy, and LastRevDate. None of these are displayed on documents (drawings), but should be present to figure out who made this (w/o PDM) and maybe when.

I hope the genius that wants change also understands the impact on all stakeholders. By all means, feel free to tell him that he is fifteen years too late to establish stable initial corporate standards, and that he is better suited to keep his ignorant mouth shut and stick to his own discipline.

Solid Air

If your drawings contain information that is not in the models and needs to change, I can see why the suggestion was made.  Where I work, we do not revision the models only drawings.  Changes to models cannot affect previous use (form, fit and function); if it does then new model is created.  We also use SW PDM which is set to always get latest version of models; so yes it is possible that this could cause confusion on older jobs but for us, it has been minimal.

Eric Blankinship

Michael,

Information in the Parts/Assembly is so much better than having it in the drawing (Revision Included)

Drawing is generated from 3D so 3D should be the master and drive the properties of the drawing.  If you have properties in the drawing then the data isn't put into the model but if you put it into the model it can be referenced and inserted into the drawing. 

Potential Problems of having unlinked custom properties:

1.  Model somehow gets broken association and needs to be re-linked.  But you need the correct revision of the model and now don't know for certain which one to associate.

2.  Information is put into both model and drawing as unlinked and someone screws up and puts in different data from the part vs the drawing.  Lets say your toolmakers design based off the model and the inspection guys inspect off the drawing.  If there is a discrepancy the two will have an issue.

Probably alot of other ones but those are 2 big ones I can think of right away.

~Eric