AnsweredAssumed Answered

Educational '08 discrepancy

Question asked by Nicholas Anderson on Oct 7, 2008
Latest reply on Oct 7, 2008 by Nicholas Anderson
Hello,

To begin, the college I attend was reluctant to upgrade to SW 2008 so it was installed on only 4 stations. The program launched and worked fine with no warnings or errors.

A few weeks went by and I created a customization file for the GUI (which I love by the way), and modeled away. My professor was absent the last class period while I was working on a relatively complex model. Today I came to class all fired up to show off my work...

Up pops a dialog stating that the time remaining to register or something was 0... Nice... Apparently the college did not purchase a new license for the software. Now I have 63 models created or edited and saved in the new format that are useless. Months of work have been lost. I have a few questions regarding this...

1. Why was the school provided the upgrade if they had not purchased the rights to use it?

2. Why oh why did the software not once ask to register or even provide a warning that it was not registered or activated when I launched it each day? I mean, we (my professor and I, who had nothing to do with the upgrade) assumed the software was functioning fine and all was well. It seems rather shady that it would work fine up to the point where it finally conked out...

Luckily I was the only student to make the transition, with the rest sticking to stations utilizing SolidWorks '07. However, I cannot help but feel a bit angry about the situation this has placed me into. I just do not understand why the software registration would function in this way. Perhaps this should be looked into for future releases...

Outcomes