Mike Pogue

Large assembly gold

Discussion created by Mike Pogue on Oct 13, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 by John Stoltzfus

Well,  apologies in advance if this is stupid--it seems stupid, so I wanted some feedback.

I am dealing with a truss structure with many hundreds of parts and many hundreds of mates. It is wildly over-constrained, partly because I am playing a hand I was dealt, and didn't build this from the ground up. So all of the mates will solve, but because they are over-constrained they tend to break once in awhile when SW gets confused and needs some hand holding to get it together--my fault, not SW's.

So my solution was to suppress every mate, fix everything, work for awhile, then unsuppress the mates, rebuild, suppress, wash, rinse repeat. This is working very well, I have total control over my assembly. I was pretty happy with it.

But it's not even necessary to do that. I can just fix all of the constrained parts without suppressing anything. Mates turn grey, SW never trys to solve anything, and I have total control and never never see an hourglass. But! If I make a change that seems to break a mate, SW sees it and warns me. I float the broken parts, they solve instantly (if possible, if not I repair the damage), I fix them again, wash, rinse, repeat. Every once in awhile, just to be sure, I float everything, surf the forum while it solves, then fix everything again.

Is this stupid? Is this something that everybody else is already doing, or that Vargatu already said I should be doing and I forgot?

Outcomes