AnsweredAssumed Answered

Solidworks suddenly not solving cone flat pattern correctly

Question asked by Evan Morisch on Oct 12, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 by Dennis Bacon

So I've been using Solidworks 2016 x64 Professional to help solve flat patterns for half-cones (among other things) for the past 6 months or so at my current job. I found a way that works involving a half-circle on the top plane for the bottom Diameter of the cone, and then a 3-D sketch the gives the height of the cone and another half circle that shows the top diameter. I then do a Lofted-bend between those two open profiles to get the cone geometry, which I then flatten using the flatten command.

This system has worked flawlessly up to about a week ago, when suddenly the flat patterns changed from a circular section to the flat pattern shown in the attached part that has no curves on the top or bottom. it just looks like a straight bar with angles cut on either end, which will not give the proper geometry.

I have a backup method of calculating the cones, but using a template file setup so I could just punch in the values was much faster and game me solid models to work with at the same time.

As far as I know, I didn't personally change anything. I've tried fudging the K-factor, changing auto-relief, removing auto-relief, different thicknesses, major/minor and height sizes of cones, etc. all result in the same final incorrect flat pattern. I'm at a loss.

Outcomes