3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 6:39 PM by Ruslan Kurdyumov

Assembly drawing with part references doesn't get checked in with assembly.

Ruslan Kurdyumov

Using Solidworks 2015 with EPDM 2015 (before) and EPDM 2016 (now).  Same issue.

When an assembly drawing has multiple references (usually for views of the assy and views of some individual parts, see below)

the drawing will not get automatically checked in/out along with the assembly.  I've seen this problem pop up a few times consistently and it seems to go away when the drawing only references one file.  Is there a fix (other than polluting the assembly with needless configurations to get individual part views)?

• Re: Assembly drawing with part references doesn't get checked in with assembly.
          John Pesaturo

Sounds like a Parent/Child issue.

The drawing has to contain all of the items you would like to update or check-in and they will do so. I do not know how to attach a drawing to an assembly, I think it's the other way around.

Check in from the assembly ... No drawing present.

Check in from the drawing ... All model items and assembly present.

• Re: Assembly drawing with part references doesn't get checked in with assembly.
            Ruslan Kurdyumov

Still haven't gotten an answer so I made a simple dummy assembly and took a few screenshots to illustrate the core problem.

I have a top level assembly.  Inside there's a sub-assembly.  I made a drawing for this sub-assembly.  When I check in the top level assembly, everything comes with it as expected.

Check in top level assembly.  Sub-assembly drawing (in blue) automatically included.  All good.

Next, I change my sub-assembly drawing so that one of the views references a part in the sub-assembly, rather than the sub-assembly itself.  If I go to File->Open and click on References for the drawing, I see that it now has multiple references (since one of the views references the part):

Now if I try to check in the top level assembly as before, the sub-assembly drawing is not automatically included!

The only fix I have for this right now is to make a separate configuration in the sub-assembly every time I want a drawing view that references an individual part.  That way, we avoid the multiple references.  This pollutes the number of configurations needlessly, especially if I want to reference multiple parts in an assembly drawing.