13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 10:42 AM by Michael Saputo

create multiple parts into a assembly

Michael Saputo

Hello Everyone, I need help.

If I had a door opening like 5" wide at the jamb and  I have a archway part that spans the opening of the doorway.

Lets say I make that width of the jamb larger, like 12 inches. I don't want to stretch my part, I want solid works to add another archway part to the assembly.

So for example the larger I make that door jamb width the archway part will be added to span that new door size.

• Re: create multiple parts into a assembly
          Rob Edwards

Short Answer yes you can but  Im not sure exactly what you mean.  I model arch frames and you can move them round how you like.  Could you just add a new configuration?  Can you give me something so I can visualise what you want

Christian Chu

If I understand correctly, you want to adapt one part to another in the assembly?

and I don't think SW can add part for you? unless you use a macro or a tool ?

Rob Edwards

This how I work with arch frames.  This is multibody but you can set up an assembly to do same thing

ps. suppress the arch cut, you have a regular square frame

This is a concept I was working on a bit back, it's a different approach and its not finished but you're welcome to take a look

Rob Edwards

I'm still not certain what it is you'd like to achieve, but I'd like to help a fellow woodworker if I can.

When you say you'd like Solidworks to add a part when you change the jamb and not stretch your part I don't see the benefit.   Do you mean you'd like to keep the old part?

Why don't you just pack and go the whole assembly

or

You can quickly create copies of your parts CTRL-drag

you could then 'make independent' before you change your jamb width

that would give you something like this.  We had to break the link but the old parts still there

Another option

I inserted a save bodies feature in my frame part I posted earlier.  This creates 3 new parts and an assembly.  If you do a Save As Copy and Open on the assembly created then make the parts virtual (again this breaks the link) you can use it as a kind of assembly publisher.  Its very quick

Chris B.

Is this what you mean?

Archway Growing.png

We also work with doors and wanted to do a similar thing.  We could achieve it mostly using patterns and equations.  The problem in our case is if the dimension is small enough, there should be no pieces.  Then above a certain dimension one piece gets added.  Above a certain dimension 2 pieces get added.  The problem was SolidWorks cannot handle the case where there is a pattern of zero pieces.

If you always have at least one piece, it should be fine.  Except something also has to get longer, through equations, in order to fill the gap shown in dimension C above

Alan Gavidia

You could always have an if statement that reads if it passes a certain dimension to divide the length of the entire top portion by 2,3,4 or which ever you choose. I would assume the top portion are not stock and can be of different sizing in regards to the width.

Rob Edwards

Ah the zero pattern thing does my head in. Why would you make a head in little bits like that? we bond them up the other way to form a rebate, or if its an arch probably out of two. 

If thats what you're after Id definitely go multibody you can create as many bodies as you like, spin em round and then delete them.  A lot more tricks you can do to get around things, like building it up in a certain order, or offset from each other so cut 'all bodies' doesn't go through the wrong bit.  I add an extra body then delete it to get over the pattern problem. I'm even considering adding some extra scrap bodies for my cut patterns.  Its like being in the workshop doing it for real.

Here's my latest frame and panel model, no panels yet and I haven't added the delete feature to get rid of that pesky pattern, but it all works around ex height and width and max panel size.  Im happy with it so far but there's so much more to do with it, the joint configs are making me tired already but, but and scribe, half lap, true mitre , masons mitre, blind mortises, thro tenons.  I think us joiners should stick together

Rob Edwards

In your case Chris

would this work for you?

make the head a subassembly, with a linear pattern and apply an assembly cut.

Im not too sure if it works properly I have to do a CTRL-Q rebuild but I've not seen any red anywhere

Chris B.

Hi Rob.  Thanks for your suggestion.  I was actually just doing a quick mock up to show what I thought the OP was asking. 

Our situation is more like this.  All parts are extrusions.  Extrusion lengths are driven by equations from 2 dimensions - height and width.

If it gets too wide, it adds a support column.  If it gets taller, it adds more cross members.

We wanted to create a template that could be used to start each new design (nearly every customer order is a custom size).Unfortunately it doesn't work reliably, and we've abandoned trying to accomplish this with SolidWorks. 

wider taller.png

equations.png

Rob Edwards

It's a shame to hear that.  I am in the same boat and I've spent a long time trying to understand the best way to achieve this.  Ive been told to use driveworks but that doesn't really work for us either. I'm feeling a lot happier with my latest attempt and I think a similar approach could handle the situation you describe above.  It's still only a concept so I don't want to post it here but if you'd like inbox me your email and I'lll share it with you.

Michael Saputo

Hey guys, I somewhat have figured this out, only issue is that solidworks and freaken equations..

Here is me showing what I did to solve my issue.

E_archway - YouTube