2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 5:34 AM by John Power

Can not restore/rename vault in PDM 2016 (but could do it previously)

Ben D.

I have had some cases where I had to rename the vault. I used to use this video tutorial from GoEngineer:

SOLIDWORKS Quick Tip - Enterprise EDM, Creating a Duplicate Vault from a Database Backup - YouTube

It used to work with EPDM 2015 (I am not sure if I have done it with earlier versions). Anyhow, now that 2016 versions are here and Enterprise version is called "Professional", I noticed it doesn't work anymore. I do all the steps following the video instructions. Everything goes fine without any error messages, the script (video time is 10:10) also goes well as shown in the video.

When I finish all the steps and try to connect to Administration of the new duplicate vault as admin, I can not do it. If I enter the "correct" user/password (that is the same user/password as the original vault), I get the following message:

1.jpg

If I enter the incorrect user name or password, then I get a different message:

2.jpg

The archive server is fine because I can still successfully connect to the original vault. I suspect that now with PDM Pro 2016 version the script should be modified in some way. I have to mention, that if I restore the vault with the original name (do not rename the vault), it works fine.

Could somebody please check if you would face the same issue after renaming the vault?

What is the problem and how can it be solved?

Thank you for your advice

• Re: Can not restore/rename vault in PDM 2016 (but could do it previously)
          Joy Garon

Hi Ben,

I cannot play the video, however, I suspect that it used a popular 'shortcut' method that was often used by support people to quickly create a vault copy for testing purposes.

While this method did work in the past, it was never the documented, official method.

The 'shortcut' method will not work because of database changes made to support PDM Standard.

The correct method is documented in the SOLIDWORKS PDM Installation Guide.

If you run into issues using the documented method, please open a support call with your VAR.

Regards,

Joy

• Re: Can not restore/rename vault in PDM 2016 (but could do it previously)
            John Power

I think this is because your archive server does not match up from your source vault to the way you installed your new one for duplication.

In SQL Management Studio, under your new database in Object Explorer Expand Databases>Your duplicate database>Tables>File Tables, right click dbo.ArchiveServers and select Edit Top 200 Rows and ensure your Vault Name matches your new Duplicate Vault, The Archive Server and Archive Server Path is correctly matching

Verify this in Object Explorer >Databases>Tables>File Tables> right click dbo.SystemInfo and check this is all setup correctly as well.

Finally check your registry keys on the server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults\ACME_Sandbox\ArchiveTable

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\ArchiveServer\Vaults

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SolidWorks\Applications\PDMWorks Enterprise\Databases