3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 10:45 AM by Siavash Khajehhasani

Flow Simulation or Thermal Analysis?

Rob Towns

I modelled a minivan, and I would like to study the heat transfer within the vehicle (radiation from the sun, convection from external air, and conduction into the vehicle, all simultaneously). I just wanted some guidance on whether I should use flow simulation, or use the thermal analysis tool? At the end, I want to know the heat flux, temperature gradient/distribution, and analyze the transient and steady state responses.

• Re: Flow Simulation or Thermal Analysis?
          Siavash Khajehhasani

Using thermal analysis, you should input all the required data for conv. and radia. such as heat transfer coefficient, view factor etc, which I really doubt it if you have all those data. Plus, there is no fluid domain where you can see the details of the flow and thermal fields. Let's also put it this way that thermal simulation tool is suitable for conduction analysis. Having said that, non of those has to be defined in Flow Sim module which makes your life way easier and would be the right tool for your simulation case.

Hannah Richter

If I were you I'd definitely use a thermal analysis tool. They can record any bit of data and information you might need (but it would have to be the RIGHT tool of course). There are thermal analysis tools that can not only be used to analyse heat but also flow, so it kinda does both things already, if you just choose right. For example you can have a look at a DSC (Differential Scanning Calorimeter). I'm sure there are other helpful devices out there, though.

Siavash Khajehhasani

I would be more than happy to see an example with Thermal Analysis tool that can address the following needs, without having input data for convection and radiation!!

study the heat transfer within the vehicle (radiation from the sun, convection from external air, and conduction into the vehicle, all simultaneously).  want to know the heat flux, temperature gradient/distribution, and analyze the transient and steady state responses!!!

If you can proof that it is doable, then you brought a revolution to SW simulation and I thank you, in advance, for sharing your knowledge, if it is being proved.