26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 7:07 AM by Wayne Falco

What's better, Solidworks or Creo?

Steve Calvert

OK, I'm being ask to come up with some comparisons with the two.  Anybody have a good idea where I can find a latest this vs that .pdf?

TIA

Steve C

• Re: What's better, Solidworks or Creo?
          Chris Saller

Everyone will have his/her own opinion.

Here in the SolidWorks forum, my guess the majority will say SolidWorks is better.

A quick Google search turned up this:

http://cad.softwareinsider.com/

Frank Defilippi

I agree with Chris,

However the biggest difference is SWX is a bit more intuitive to learn with Inventor or SolidEdge experience.   Creo is somewhat different and will require 2 weeks training with a  3 -6 month learning curve.

Chris B.

Depends what you want to use it for.  What industry are you in?

I've been using SWX for 10 years now, Pro/E (before it became Creo) for four years before that for plastic part design.

Pro/E has maybe steeper learning curve somewhat, but seemed to be capable of higher quality surfacing, meaning better looking parts using complex surfacing.  More powerful surfacing capabilities.

Cost.  I believe SolidWorks is significantly lower cost.  Was back then anyway, maybe that's still the case?

Drawings may be easier to create in SolidWorks.  They were many years ago at least.  Can a recent Creo user confirm that?

Frank Defilippi

Hey Chris-

"Drawings may be easier to create in SolidWorks.  They were many years ago at least.  Can a recent Creo user confirm that?"

Our company has both Creo and SWX.  The drawing packages are somewhat different, I just updated a creo drawing a few minutes ago.  If you remember your ProE days, dims, CL, GT&D callouts and most annotation is created in the model not the drawing as well as views.  Personally I find creating drawings in Swx or Inventor much easier to use.  Most of the folks over at the Creo forum are annoyed PTC hasn't addressed the difficulties drawing creations with the new release.  However, it seems  PTC is more interested in IoT than CAD, considering they have only 9% of the market share

Jim Steinmeyer

Steve,

Much like Chris I have been with Solid-doesn't-Works for 10 years after 6 years on Pro having learned it with a manual and no one else at the company using it. I was going to echo what he said and re-enforce that "better" is really dependent on your industry and what you want to accomplish.

Steve Calvert

Thanks Chris, and everyone else.  I'm doing more now than ever before in putting together a pro v con of the two and since I'm limited on the Pro/E side I'm having to remember some of the things I knew were pros and cons of Pro.

I really need a cost comparison.  How much does a seat of Pro/E cost and what is the yearly maintenance?

Of course I'm trying to sway others that SW is the best mid range package out there for what we do.  BTW, Wayne makes the retail fuel dispensers you might use when you're filling up your car...

Steve C

Jim Steinmeyer

Steve Calvert wrote:

BTW, Wayne makes the retail fuel dispensers you might use when you're filling up your car...

Steve C

A couple of jobs ago I did a project designing mobile diesel trailers for filling tractors and equipment in the field. There was more involved than I expected. Especially when my boss wanted to put his stamp on things and change stuff every evening. I think we used Fill-Rite for most stuff though.

Paul Salvador

Hey Steve,.. personally,.. "it depends"..   Personally,.. I LOVED using Pro/e/WF/Creo!  (master models using surfaces, comsumer/medical/auto/) but, sadly.. I have not really used it for ~4yrs (creo 1.0)

Cost... last I checked.. base SW was ~5k (and goes up to 9K for prem?) and Creo is ~5K (and for about the ~SW prem equiv 12-15K?)

so, it is unimportant imho.. but it would depend on the industry and commitment.. (auto vs startup company) and user (skilled vs part-time).

I agree, SW is the best mid-range package.. still.

Oh,.. 2D drawings in Pro/e/WF was GREAT! ... MUCH better than SW.. .. although, it became slow(er) in Creo 1.0.. (but again.. I did not really use it after 1.0... so it "may" have improved?)    I could work on HUGE multi-sheet drawings and ... I could open/work on huge imported DWG/DXF's!   (we can't do that in SW!!)

The best I can simply explain this is to draw two curves (creo/sw).. and apply situations which show where they have pos/neg aspects... or, how the curves converge and deviate.. depending on usage....

(,.. when I lived in South Africa (~27yrs ago).. I helped some people at Wayne using the early AutoCAD CSG tools.. converting simple pump valves from 2D-3D..  they did the whole fuel dispensing designs in 2D... good people!!)

Steve Calvert

Thanks Paul.  I've been with Wayne 30 (31 in March) years and have gone from Cadkey, Unigraphics, Pro/E and now Solidworks.  We've been using SW since 2006.  Of them all, I much prefer SW over UG and Pro comes after that.

I do remember drawings in WF not being very good and I do remember the master model approach of Pro being really good.

Steve C

Paul Risley

For my 2 cents worth, VAR for Soldworks are much easier to work with.

I will emphasize software wise never worked on Creo.

We were trying to get a seat of it to import models direct from our customers who used it, we had to set up a conference call and then send the Var for Creo a few example models so they could try to fit a seat package to our needs.

Well we had to have several more of these meetings and never once did we get a quote or a seat offering of any kind. After 6 months of this and no returned phone calls we dropped it and moving on to just translating step files.

I am sure that there are good Var's for creo, just my bad experience turned me off to the whole idea of ever using their software.

Roland Schwarz

Things I miss the most about Pro/E:

Variable Section Sweeps that also allow constraining sweep profiles to edge tangencies.

Coordinate systems that can be used like planes and axes--one can define an entire model about a csys, move the csys and the model moves with it.

datum-on-the-fly

Mats Lindqvist

I have extensive experience with Creo+Creo Simulate. A little experience with SW. It could be that I don't know SW as well as Creo but... I prefer Creo every day of the week. If you need to modify something in a large assembly that someone else has created, and you don't know what references what, resolving component dependencies across an assembly etc then that is a lot easier to handle in Creo. SW large assembly management can be a mess. Impossible even.

The arguments for SW over Creo that I see, are typically of the nature "to do that, yo only need 2 mouseclicks  in SW, but in Creo you need 4". Well, as soon as you are past the beginner's stage, Creo is one or two notches better at everything. It doesn't crash as often. Assemblies open faster, regenerate faster. Complex surface models regenerate faster. Complex rounds are easier to work with, not that I often use those. This is matter of taste/personal preference, but if something gets complicated, I often model it using surfaces in Creo, then quilt it together into a solid. Simulate(FEA) is better, especially if you want to create FE-models with mixed element types, such as beams, shells and solid elements.

I don't know if solidworks has an equivalence of Simplified rep's of assemblies. This means you can work on a large assembly, but you don't need to keep all of it in memory. You can exclude components from a simplified rep, and clear the computer's memory of those components, and still work on that large assembly. Possibly this feature already exists in SW I don't know.  This is a typical example of a feature that doesn't make any sense at all for example in demo, but it makes a huge difference when you work with the software. Creo has lots of those little things that you don't think about, or that don't seem like anything special when you first see them, but when you have used the software for a while, you come to appreciate them a lot. 

Having worked a lot with FEA I have often had the need to simplify/clean up imported geometry, for analysis, also this is faster/easier in Creo.

I have never heard of a company that has replaced Creo for SW for technical reasons, but several times, I have heard of the opposite. If you look at companies that manufacture more complex products with many components, those never use SW, as far as I know. It's always Catia, Creo or NX.

As for pricing, my understanding is that a basic package of Creo and SW (solid, surface modeling, drawings, assemblies) are about the same, but additional modules are more expensive in Creo.

Steve Calvert

OK, a little update if you'll allow that.

We selected Solidworks, as I figured and have also purchased SW PCB and Electrical for the entire Dover Fueling Solutions locations.  We recently did our PCBs in either Cadence or Altium so the Altium users will get along with PCB very nicely.

We also are moving from Smarteam to SW PDM Pro and are in the process of doing that now.

I'm glad we stayed with SW because most of you are pretty cool...

Steve C

Roland Schwarz

What's better, SW or Creo? Doesn't matter if you're not better than both of them.