12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 1:26 PM by Todd Bennett

Bounding box with API?

Todd Bennett

I've seen a lot of posts about bounding boxes.  I have tried a dozen (or more) macros.  Does anyone have a macro that can actually get an accurate bounding box, even if the part was drawn at some goofy orientation?

We import files created in other programs by other companies.  I need to collect accurate bounding box dimensions with the a macro so I can: open all the files, get the info, then export the part on new coordinate system based on the bounding box.

You would think all that other stuff is the hard part, but the bounding box has been the real challenge.  I have attached a simple part that should prove somewhat difficult.

Thank you.

• Re: Bounding box with API?
          John Stoltzfus

I think those are hard to come by, the one I use isn't 100% correct and I do only use it as a note in the drawing, so if a part is modeled "Catty Waumpoous"  it'll give it a weird dimension.

Todd Bennett

The bounding box made by the Weldment feature is perfect, but I have a few problems:

1) I don't know how to turn a part into a weldment programmatically.

2) I don't know how to make the weldment bounding box programmatically.

3) I don't know how to use the weldment bounding box's lines progammatically.

Todd Bennett

This will basically take care of 1 and 2 of my list.  I think you have to make sure your Document Properties have "Automatically create cut lists" and "Automatically update cut lists..." selected under Weldments.

Dim swApp As Object

Dim Part As Object

Dim boolstatus As Boolean

Dim longstatus As Long, longwarnings As Long

Sub main()

Dim myModelView As Object

Dim myFeature As Object

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set myModelView = Part.ActiveView

myModelView.FrameState = swWindowState_e.swWindowMaximized

Set myFeature = Part.FeatureManager.InsertWeldmentFeature()

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("Solid Bodies", "BDYFOLDER", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

Part.ClearSelection2 True

boolstatus = Part.ForceRebuild3(True)

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("Solid Bodies", "BDYFOLDER", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

Part.Extension.Create3DBoundingBox

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SelectByID2("Bounding-Box_Cut-List-Item1", "SKETCH", 0, 0, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

Part.UnblankSketch

End Sub

Todd Bennett

Although I created this from an imported "dumb" solid, the cut list does have accurate length, width, and thickness.

Todd Bennett

I added the following directly after "myModelView.FrameState = swWindowState_e.swWindowMaximized" to make sure the Document Properties were set.

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swWeldmentEnableAutomaticCutList, 0, True)

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swWeldmentEnableAutomaticUpdate, 0, True)

boolstatus = Part.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swWeldmentRenameCutlistDescriptionPropertyValue, 0, False)

JOHN GEORGE

Todd,

Check this discussion

There is a macro by Matt Fisher

Hope this works for you

JOHN GEORGE

With the above macro, you can pick any 2 edges and it create the box

see this

or these edges

Todd Bennett

Yeah, that is cool, but I'm not much of a programmer and I need to get the lines without any input from the user.  For me that is trading one thing I can't do for different thing I can't do.

Keith Rice

There are an infinite number of bounding boxes for any given body depending on the reference. Please specify the axes of the bounding box you want.

If one of the faces is parallel to one of the bounding box planes, then you can get the normals of each plane and use them in conjunction with IBody2::GetExtremePoint to calculate the bounding box relative to that direction.

The weldment LENGTH is based on the sketch used in the structural member feature, AFAIK. Since this isn't created from a structural member you won't be able to use the weldment LENGTH property.

Keith

SolidWorks API Training and Services

Todd Bennett

Good point, Keith.  I think there would usually be at least one face parallel to a bounding box plane.  We don't deal with a lot of free form surfaces.

I'm not sure how SolidWorks calculates their weldment bounding box, but it sure does a good job at minimizing the volume, while keeping a face parallel to at least one bounding box plane.  The problem is using the bounding box after it creates it.

Todd Bennett

I guess I basically answered my original question.  I will explore question three (above) in a separate post.