13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2016 11:17 AM by Steve Soeder

Cosmos companion

Marcus Björling
      Hi,

Many topics refer to "cosmos companion", but all links I find seems to be dead. Is there nobody who can give me a working link to this?

Best regards
        • Cosmos companion
          Anthony Botting
          Hi Marcus: Yes, there is someone. Myself and another customer found it! Login to your customer portal, then navigate to Technical Support/Learning Resources/On-Demand Videos and there they are!
            • Cosmos companion
              Rob Jensen
              The cosmos companion is very useful, if you can find it.

It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack...!! And I don't know why...

Thanks Anthony for the path. I wonder how long they'll keep it there??
                • Cosmos companion
                  Steven Dinsdale
                  Thanks for finding them, I was wondering where they went. I even asked a rep and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Anyone else seeing this: All but two of the PDF links are taking me to the material properties companion.

-Steven
                    • Cosmos companion
                      Vince Adams
                      Hi guys, sorry about the difficulty we've inadvertently created in locating these. One customer described them to me as one of the "best kept secrets in SolidWorks!!!"

We are evaluating a program to update these for 2009 with some cleanup of material and format. We're considering chapterizing them so you can find what you're looking for more quickly within each.

Are there any other suggestions or additional topics we should consider? Is this a good format for this sort of information? Should we bring back the live webcasts? ("There were live webcasts?" Yes there were... )

Thanks for the feedback! I'm working this week to get the existing links working again.

-- Vince
                        • Cosmos companion
                          Steven Dinsdale
                          I would like to see more technical examples. By this I mean examples that cannot be solved easily with theory.

-Steven
                          • Cosmos companion
                            Elliot Weiss
                            PDF links still not correct...
                            • Cosmos companion
                              Ben Floan
                              Vince,

My vote would be to to bring back live webcasts....I would be most interested in correct application of code (SW2009) in advanced scenarios.

Ben
                                • Cosmos companion
                                  Vince Adams
                                  The PDF links on the Customer Portal are fixed. We're working on the videos.

Ben, we'd like to do more live videos. One of the problems we've faced is getting the word out and attendance up. It seems that live sessions aren't as well attended as we'd like but the videos are downloaded frequently. One thought was to prepare more videos in advance (without the "Umm's", "Uhhh's" & "Ooops" that come with "Live") and schedule monitored sessions so that I or someone on my team can answer questions during the videos.

Can anyone suggest ways to break thru the information overload we're all experiencing to let people know about these sessions? What do you think of the "semi-live" webinar idea?

There will be a live webcast mid-month (watch the SW home page for info.) While this will focus on Xpress, it is still worth checking out.

-- vince
                                    • Cosmos companion
                                      Pete Yodis
                                      Vince,

I think the semi-live webinar idea is a great one. Mix this with real world tough applications using the software, and I think you have a winner. SolidWorks own description of the subscription service lists webacsts as a feature of the product. The way I read it - we are entitled to webcasts on the product if we are paying subscribers. It was sad to see the companion webcast series put on hold. They hold valuable information that is sadly not present in any other SolidWorks documentation. I think a webcast site with an RSS feed letting users know when new webcasts are posted would be a great way to let folks know when something is available without continually browsing to some obscure area of the customer portal.
                                      • Cosmos companion
                                        sandeep pawar
                                        Vince,

'semi-Live' would definitely work. As Peter mentioned RSS feed would ensure that atleast people know about the event. How about pre-registration? If you know beofre hand that enough people are going to attend the seminar you can go ahead with it, if not then you can record the session and post it on the site.
                                        But, please do continue with the companion series.

Thanks for your efforts. See ya soon.
                                        Sandeep
                            • Cosmos companion
                              Hi Vince,

It would be great if you could cover drop test analysis as I think that would be particularly interesting.

Thanks,

Stuart