6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 11:29 AM by Phil Evans

Envelope models:

Phil Evans

I have a top level assembly that in turn calls out assembly models in the drawing tree below it. Those lower models also have multiple envelope models in them that reference each other. When I try to load the top level assembly model will it try to also load multiple instances of the same models that are used as envelopes in the lower models?

• Re: Envelope models:
          David Brukardt

I've  never gotten a clear answer from my VAR on this but my belief is solidworks does load some data due to the instance but not the whole model data because the model can only be in memory once.  The exception of course is if the envelope is a different configuration; these are treated as a unique model by solidworks and all the data that Solidworks normally loads will be loaded again.

Phil Evans

I understand that the models in the envelopes can only reside in memory once but does Solidworks load the multi instances into memory more than once when reading the models? We are experiencing very slow performance with large models and are trying to formulate a better methodology, if possible. Otherwise our management will be changing over to Catia.

David Brukardt

Slow performance can mean many things in SolidWorks.  Is the assembly slow loading, slow panning, rotating, zooming the graphics window, working in a drawing, switching sheets in a drawing, switching between and drawing and assembly.  Things that affect performance can be amount of memory, memory problem, window settings, video card, video card driver, number of other applications open, what other applications doing (idle or computing), computer processor, where files are located (local, network, cloud), number of mates,  number of components being displayed, how components are displayed (shaded, shaded with edges, wireframe, hidden lines shown/removed), you get the idea.  Is this performance on one or all your computers that use SolidWorks?

Phil Evans

Hi David,

I understand that there can be a multitude of reasons that the software/system is slow and we are going through them one at a time. The envelope question is just one of the items on the list in particular to slow loading of models.

I have noticed that if I hide one of the repeat instance models in one of the lower model envelope models that the instance of the same model stays visible if it also exists in another envelope assembly. Can this occur if the model only exists one time in memory?

David Brukardt

I stand by my first reply; the model is only loaded once but to display it multiple times takes memory.  I have a main assembly that has 13718 components in it.  One component is used as an envelope 49 times in sub assemblies.  When I open the assembly it uses an average of 6GB of memory (average computed on 3 openings).  After deleting the envelope in all the sub assemblies, I re-opened the main assembly; average memory is 5.98GB.  If I divide the difference by the number of envelopes that works out to be 0.00004GB  If I open the assembly that the component is not an envelope in by itself, the average memory is 0.4GB.  When I delete that component and open the assembly, the average memory is 0.4 GB which kind of make sense if an instance only take 0.00004GB.  What may even be more confusing is that if I open this component by itself it takes up 0.15GB so when used as an component in an assembly, SolidWorks does not load the whole component into memory unless you right click on it and tell it to open the part (this goes along with what I have heard in the past).  Unfortunately, I did not take notice of the time it took to open the two assemblies but I would guess it was only in the seconds.

What is the component count in the assemblies you feel have slow performance?

Phil Evans

Hi David,

the model has just under 4,000 components in it.

We are looking at ways of creating cut down configurations in each sub assembly to aid in loading, we only need a graphical representation of the sub assemblies, the possibility of selecting a surface for mates, parametric associativity to the parent model and the capability of having the BOM recognize the correct sub assembly number at the higher level assemblies. Is there a quick way of getting Speedpack to select all external surfaces similar to "save as part"  instead of manually selecting them?