7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 9:27 AM by Todd Blacksher

Low performance

Ari Arponen

I don't know what causes it. Is it a updates or what, but for some reason my Solidworks works much slower with big assemblies as earlier (about weeks ago). I ran the performance test and the reults were these:

sw1_bm.png

After that I ran it again immediately. The chages were that Graphics were 120sec and Processor 0.9sec, are this kind of variations normal in test? I have a MSI GE72 QD Apache pro laptop. I also noticed that when I work, the CPU in task manager never goes above 20%. Also I noticed that when working with big assemblies, it is very laggy to rotate the assembly (with middle mousebutton) if you do not select anything. If I select any part or face the rotating gets much much faster. Is this normal? If I have selected nothing and try zoom, it can take up to 5 seconds just to zoom in one step. 

As I recall I didn't have these problems while ago, now any tips are more than welcome to help me.

• Re: Low performance
          Ari Arponen

I dont know is the GPU or CPU here, just noticed that what ever I do with solidworks (even with very heavy assemblies) the CPU usage does not go above 20-25% at any point? Is this normal?

CPU.png

Dave Laban

SolidWorks is almost exclusively single-threaded so won't use the other (presumably) 3 cores in your laptop, hence only 25% ever showing as being used.

What are your full specs?  Do you have a supported graphics card and driver?

Tom Gagnon

When you work on drawings of those very large assemblies, you'll see the CPU load right up, and often.

Sorry for not having more useful comment to answer your question directly.

As I understand SWx's needs in large assemblies, it's dependent on CPU speed and amount of RAM. As such, test out what you can:

Is your RAM damaged? Ask IT to run RAM diagnostics from Windows recovery mode boot options, which is included in Windows starting with Windows 7 and beyond. Alternatively, you can use a 3rd party utility such as MemTest (http://hcidesign.com/memtest/) which I have stored in my utility app collection, but never recall actually using it. Before I had that (pre-2009), I used to use a CD-Rom to boot to Windows Memory Diagnostics, available free from MS. I used to call it my own little WMD in the office, *pun chuckle*.

Craig Schultz

That's a gaming laptop = not a good graphics card for SW.

SW works best on the fastest core, as much RAM as you can afford, and a certified graphics card.

Todd Blacksher

As a frame of reference, I just purchased a Dell Precision 5510 with the Quadro M1000M video card, and my graphics score was 10.3 seconds.

My 7 year old Dell Precision M4500 had a graphics score of 25.3 seconds.