11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 10:17 AM by Jason Smith

Keeping Finished Parts and Assemblies  Safe?

Jason Smith

I very often copy a top level Assembly and rename it for my next job as they are usually similar.

I some times forget to copy and rename the part I need to change (Especially when more focused on the new design) or more often  in multiple nested assemblies I forget to copy and rename all the assembly's. up the line.

We do not have a PDM system in place.

Is my only safe guard to use "where used all the time " or is there a way to lock a file as read only, so Solid works gives me a warning when I am about to change a part or assembly used in other assemblies?

Any suggestions gratefully received

thanks

Jason

• Re: Keeping Finished Parts and Assemblies  Safe?
          Glenn Schroeder

Instead of copying the top level assembly, I'm recommend doing a Pack and Go on it to a new folder.  And ideally re-naming all components in the process.  That way there shouldn't be any way to mess up the original.

Jason Smith

Thanks

for that but  I want to re use the parts that are staying original to avoid duplicate drawings and part numbers and I wont be sure what I am going to need to alter until I start to do it. I was hoping I could lock the originals and solidworks gave me the option to "save as" if I tried to alter them.

Thanks

Jason

Glenn Schroeder

Jason Smith wrote:

Thanks

for that but I want to re use the parts that are staying original to avoid duplicate drawings and part numbers and I wont be sure what I am going to need to alter until I start to do it.

Then go ahead and use Pack and Go, but de-select the ones you know you won't change, as John Stoltzfus said.  That way you won't create duplicates of those, and the new Assembly will still reference the old ones.  For the ones that will change, you can double-click on the file names in the "Save to Name" column to assign a new name to the new files to make sure that the new Assembly (which you've also assigned a new name) references them instead of the old ones.

Assuming you have SW Explorer installed, you can even do a Pack and Go without opening the files.  Just right-click on the file name in Windows Explorer and choose SOLIDWORKS > Pack and Go... (see below).  If you do the Pack and Go with the file open, go to File > Pack and Go.  If you do it this way, after the Pack and Go don't forget to close the original file and open the new one to make your changes.  (Don't ask how I know this can happen.)

John Stoltzfus

Agreed with Glenn Schroeder on the pack & go - the only thing I want to add is - uncheck any interchangable components

If you let this go you'll have multiple copies of the same part in many different folders

David Durston

Just a thought but when you finish a project you could manually set all files to read-only in Windows.

Then if you tried to edit or save them you would get a warning that they are read only.

It would be annoying if you then wanted to edit a file but it may help prevent the problems you are experiencing.

Regards

David

Vladimir Urazhdin

Ho Jason, what you are doing may be called "a repetitive design".

When you copy the old project to new folder to create a new project SW often keeps unwanted links to the old folder (files).

The simple way to get rid from the unwanted links is to rename the old folder with existing project after copy.

I also advice you to keep fixed (for example purchased) parts / sub assemblies  in User Library and modified (flexible) parts / sub assemblies in current folder.

Jason Smith

After  making some experimental assemlies , the read only idea seams to do what I wanted but your Idea of the user library of parts and sub assemblies is interesting and something I have not used in the past .I will have a look in to it

The trouble with unchecking the "pack and go"  way is I do not know what will be altered until I get there. ( Our units are large with around 500+ parts. If I put a bigger engine in , it's way down the line when I find out I need rectify a clearence problem. By then I am more focused on the design and forget to remember these parts could be used some where else. Re-using parts and part numbers helps keep costs down when ordering from suppliers and reduces my work load by using as many parts as possible that have all ready been drafted)

Thanks All

Your advise is much apreciated.

Jason