3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 8:18 AM by Jeff Holliday

How do I uninstall an expired student edition?

Andrew Way

I am trying to uninstall an expired student edition of solidworks on my computer and install a new student edition but every time i go to install the new version a prompt pops up saying my soldiworks session is expired.

• Re: How do I uninstall an expired student edition?
          Jeff Holliday

My guess is that there are some items still in the operating system registry that are being found when the new install is attempted. This can be very dangerous if things go wrong while editing the registry.

Andrew Way

Jeff,

If i did not transfer my student edition subscription back to solidworks can i still install a new version of solidworks? or does that really matter? i can not get into SW to do that step. Also, since i was using SW i was using it on an older version of windows and have since upgraded. does that make any difference?

Thank you so much for your help

Jeff Holliday

I think my suspicion is still a strong possibility but it is true that anytime you are updating the OS and/or transferring SW to another computer, the safest thing is to deactivate the license before uninstalling SW. For the regular (non-student) licenses a call to our VAR (Value Added Reseller - the company we purchased SW from) would result in the VAR being able to release the license.

If you run regedit on your computer check to see if there are "dassault" and "SolidWorks" folders in /HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software. These could possibly contain SW info from your old install and could be deleted. I would suggest running "export the registry" and save a backup of it under a new name in case something bad happens.

The major doubt I have about it being caused by the registry is that you mentioned having upgraded the operating system. This would likely have rewritten the registry.

Be very careful.