11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 2:51 PM by Chris Dordoni

stp text into SW drawing?

Xuno Gildelamadrid

I have the text from an stp file, is there a way to convert this text to a drawing on SW that I can then modify as needed? I am having to build a multi flow manifold and I have found something close enough to what I need to make. I was hoping to start with the drawing of this other piece and then modify it as needed. I have the original part (it is a part we use a lot) and I have the text of off the stp file for the drawing of the part. Now I need design a modified version of this part, so obviously it would help me to start with the drawing of the original part.  So is this possible? If so, can someone tell me how I would go about doing something like this?

Thank you all!

• Re: stp text into SW drawing?
          Chris Dordoni

You wont be able to modify the existing text. STP format does not retain editable text.

If the curves that make up the text transferred, you could use that as a visual reference and try to find a font that is close enough.

J. Mather

Xuno Gildelamadrid wrote:

...I have the text of off the stp file for the drawing of the part. ....

Exactly what do you mean by this?

Can you attach the original stp file here?

Drawing = 2D representation (for paper print).

Part = 3D model geometry

A *.stp file is an ASCII text file format that you can open directly in SolidWorks to get the 3D model geometry (part).  (File>Open> files of type *.stp)

You would modify the 3D geometry after opening the *.stp file in SolidWorks.

Not sure where the drawing information (2D) enters this problem statement?

Do you have a second *.pdf or *.dwg file of 2D drawing?

Xuno Gildelamadrid

that is my issue, I do not have the .stp file just the text from it.

Somewhere down the line the actual file for this part has been lost now I am trying to modify the part with no real file. All I have been able to find is the text out of the .stp file, as if someone had opened it on a txt editing software (.doc, .txt. etc.) and saved it.

So since all I have is the text from the .stp file, I was wondering if there was a way to somehow convert this back into a proper .stp file?

Chris Dordoni

Where is the text located?

For example ...

If it's already in a file that contains only the text from the stp file, renaming or adding the file extension .stp could work.

If the text is in the body of an email message, instead of as an attachment, select the text and paste into a text editor, and then save as a new file with.stp extension. It's important that you select ONLY the text that represents the file.

Xuno Gildelamadrid

Great, that is what I have been trying but it has not been able to read it, I must have more than only the text representing the file.

I am going to look into again and I might be able to figure it out but to maybe avoid a lot o try and error, what would the test that represent the file usually start with?

This is my first guess  "  FILE_DESCRIPTION((''),'2;1');  " .   I will try somethings and report back but I am definitely feeling hopeful now, thanks.

Chris Dordoni

This is what an STP file looks like in text format, I deleted all the geometry info so only the header and end of file indicator is shown below.

ISO-10303-21;

HEADER;

FILE_DESCRIPTION (( 'STEP AP214' ),

'1' );

FILE_NAME ('sphere.STEP',

'2016-09-25T16:33:48',

( '' ),

( '' ),

'SwSTEP 2.0',

'SolidWorks 2014',

'' );

FILE_SCHEMA (( 'AUTOMOTIVE_DESIGN' ));

ENDSEC;

DATA;

(ALL THE GEOMETRY INFO IS LOCATED IN THIS AREA, ... HAS BEEN DELETED FOR THIS EXAMPLE)

ENDSEC;

END-ISO-10303-21;

J. Mather

...I might be able to figure it out but to maybe avoid a lot o try and error, what would the test that represent the file usually start with?

Simply  create a STEP file from one of your SolidWorks files and examine the code in Notepad.

This would give you a starting place for recognizing some of the code.

There are also numerous sources on the web for STEP syntax.

J. Mather

... someone had opened it on a txt editing software (.doc, .txt. etc.) and saved it....

Attach the file here and end all doubt.