6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 12:53 PM by Konrad Peters

Can't thicken, open surface?

Konrad Peters

Hi all,

Need help I'm baffled this part won't thicken, it's all a combination of lofted surfaces, one small filled surface (triangle) and a ruled surface on the bottom. I need to thicken this to 3mm and don't understand why it won't work. Anyone can shine a little light on this? The surfaces were properly knitted with no gaps whatsoever.

When using the check function I get an "open surface" on the top left corner but I've no idea why.

Thanks!

• Re: Can't thicken, open surface?
          Christian Chu

Konrad

The reason you couldn't thicken this part because of the corner - see below image

Since you sent out this model as a derived part so I can't track down the feature to fix it

I just cut this corner off and can thicken it without a problem - see result in the zip folder

Capture.JPG

Konrad Peters

As soon as I get back to the office I will check this thank you very much, the original file is quite big hence why this was isolated, I will try to delete most of the model and leave this part intact and upload it to see if there is a way to point out the error, as I mentioned in another reply in this thread sadly it's not the first time this happens to me.

Paul Salvador

Konrad,.. you need to make it cleaner.. issues shown and possible issues with the converging corners.. one way to see this is trying to offset individual surfaces and see if they will offset or not and observe the adjacent overlaps and try to test/trim.. also check for min radius of curvature..?

issues.png

Konrad Peters

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to look into the part though I honestly don't understand what are those issues you are pointing out. Does this have to do with using a single 3D sketch for all the surface operations? The issue on the left that you pointed is a lofted surface and the one on the right is a ruled surface that goes all along the lower edge.

It's unclear for me what is the problem with converging lines and surfacing, and what exactly do you mean by making it cleaner?

I'm trying to figure out what is going on as this is a recurring problem with my modeling and I would like to address it.

Paul Salvador

Clean Surfaces,... the best analogy I can offer is.. think of surfaces as "clean white wrinkle free egyptian cotton sheets" which can  contour/bend//curve over objects cleanly or w/o any wrinkles.

Also, think of SEWING those clean sheets together or how you need to add MORE (extend) fabric for the sheets to overlap/cover a object and allow for extra fabric for you to stitch the sheets together w/o any bunching or wrinkles.

When you thicken.. you also have to think about how this effects or wrinkles your sheet and if you have enough material for it to extend to sew/knit them together.

Sorry, there is no IRON option in SolidWorks..   (although, it would be REALLY nice to see a simplify surface option, like with spline simplfy!?)

Konrad Peters

Even though I still don't understand completely the concept of open surfaces, changing the direction of the loft for the biggest part fixed the problem and let me thicken it. Solidworks works in mysterious ways I guess.