0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 5:40 PM by Tom Gagnon

Search in every nested list

Tom Gagnon

UI Suggestion: Add search function to everything... in which the entirety of the list is not visible in one view, particularly because collapsed folders hide contents.

Examples:

Is this material available in the Material Library? Add a search field to find by keyword.

Design Library, custom properties, weldment profiles, appearances, and many other nested lists could benefit from a contextual search bar ...just like the one available in Options. Pretty much anything that has an associated file location shouldn't require me to go there and search through a File Explorer.

I am certain that other users could come up with more places, conditions, or situations. Where would you like to see a contextual search bar added?

Command, Help, Options, and Assembly Components (via filters or Advanced Component Selection) currently are searchable well. Anything else is mostly a hunt and peck process if you didn't organize it extensively yourself.

Sure, familiarity with long lists and appropriate categorization is part of a learning process to using the software. Once you've found it once, you may recall where to go after it next time. Commonly used things can often be favorite'd into a customized shorter list. Irrelevant things can often be deleted or moved elsewhere to shorten the available options. However, anything that has this much flexibility and broad applicability could use a tool to locate the thing you seek whenever presented with many many choices.

I'm thinking, "too little, too late." Maybe next year.