2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2016 7:58 AM by Richard Hazeldine

Contour rendering doesn't work in SW2016

Richard Hazeldine

This question has been asked before and was marked as 'ANSWERED' - but it was completely unanswered.

I've been using SW for 12 years now and have used all versions of 'add-in' rendering software from PhotoWorks through to PhotoView 360. Generally it's provided pleasing results for the purposes I've always used it for - until SW2016.

I'm no longer able to produce 'contour' renders - they now appear with 'ghosting' for want of a better word - this ghosting isn't restricted to one model/assembly but is consistantly there with everything I want to render. To solve the problem/get a workaround (now standard procedure with almost any SW function these days), I've attempted to change display styles, changed materials, all to no avail. 'Cartoon' renders are not good enough and don't display enough detail so this isn't an option.

My graphics driver is up-to-date, I've a decent PC with adaquate RAM - all the obvious stuff has been checked and covered.

I've said if before and I'll say it again: Dassault Systems, please give us a product that's entirely fit-for-purpose. I don't want new (bugged) features every release - I want a stable package where the existing features just... work. Is that too much to ask?

I'm now at the point where I'm very happy to end this 12-year relationship and move to another software supplier; the latest tactic of strong-arming people into maintaining subscriptions also smacks of highly-aggressive cartel-like bahavior which isn't all that endearing. Sort it out please.

Now, does anybody have a solution for this - or do I need to enter yet another SPR?

Regards,

Richard

• Re: Contour rendering doesn't work in SW2016
          Keith Carter

Richard,

I have done some contour rendering in previous versions so I thought I would try it. You're correct that a ghosted image of the part appears with the contour. I made several adjustments to the render settings, scene settings and the appearance. The only adjustment that makes a difference in the ghosting is the Gamma value in the render settings. An increased value will lessen the ghosting, however if the value is too high, the contour line quality suffers.

Setting the model to Hidden Lines Removed in the model window, then using the windows Snip-it tool actually does a pretty good job depending on your use of the image.

Keith

• Re: Contour rendering doesn't work in SW2016
              Richard Hazeldine

Hi Keith,

I had a play with that too - it does help but doesn't really give me the quality I'd like. Ultimately I ended up saving a series of images using File>Save As which gives you the ability to save good quality images but doesn't allow you to alter the line width (although this may be possible?)

Thanks for your input. I'm sorry to any SW Techs who read this (I'm surprised it got through moderation) but I am truly annoyed at some basic functionality issues I frequently come across. It's so frustrating.

Best wishes,

Rich