16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2016 5:02 PM by John Pagel

SW 2016 Dark Background Color

John Pagel

Just upgraded to SW 2016 on Monday...many problems (I really miss 2015).  Most are serious enough that they are getting real attention to be fixed (as in, we're spending money to fix problems with the software we just spent money to get).  But this one is a little more nit picky so I'll see if there's an easy solution that doesn't require lots of time and effort.

Not sure if I'm the only one seeing this, but I haven't seen anything else online about it.  Given how much easier it is on the eyes, I desperately want to use the "Dark" background color option for SW.  However, when using this background (and not with any other background options) I get some weird behavior.  As you can see in the image, the problem crops up when I have an option dialog box open up on the left side of my screen (in this case "Mate", but it happens with all of them).  Anywhere there is a checkbox, the text related to it gets overlapped with whatever was in the design tree behind it.  What you're seeing are features of one of the parts in my assembly, very inconveniently over the top of the pertinent text.

Likewise, if I keep that option box open and minimize the SW window then restore it, I get whatever was on my screen in that location.  In this case, it was the desktop and a word document I had placed there.  Same thing happens if I have a window open in front of it, such as opening up the Properties or Options window.  If it gets placed in front of the check boxes and then closed, I get that image placed over the top of the text.

Has anyone seen this before?  I can't tell you how much I am going to hate starting at a bright white screen all day every day, hoping this is not long term.

John

• Re: SW 2016 Dark Background Color
          S. Casale

This seems like a legitimate post about color issues SW 2016 has...

Forewarning: Let's not hope it turns into another rant post... good luck.

David Nelson

There was a Post and good instructions on this but here goes.

Go to

System Options

Colors

Icon color set to classic

Background color set to Medium light

Works great for me.

Anna Wood

What service pack of SW2016?

What OS and graphic card are you running in your system?

Did you update your graphic card driver when you installed SW2016 to an approved version for your system?

Graphics Card Drivers | SOLIDWORKS

Jim Wilkinson

I believe Anna is on the right track here. This is very likely a graphics card/driver issue so I would recommend making sure your card is supported and if so, that you are using the correct driver.

Thanks,

Jim

John Pagel

Sorry for the delayed response.  I was working from home yesterday on a second work PC so I wanted to wait until I was in the plant to mess with this PC.  My second PC just underwent the same upgrade but is performing flawlessly.

I am running SW2016 SP3.0 and my graphics card is acceptable (see image below).

I did update my graphics card driver and then restarted the machine, but still having the same issue.

On a side note, after using the Dark background option all day yesterday with no issues I can honestly say that I do like the new UI better.  The blue and black combination is easy on the eyes and doesn't appear washed out at all.  I know I'm making some enemies with that statement but you know that they say...change or be changed.  I'm still getting used to the new sketch cursor though...

Glenn Schroeder

John Pagel wrote:

I'm still getting used to the new sketch cursor though...

Then you should be happy to see this section of Jim Wilkinson's post at Update on UI changes for SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP04 and SOLIDWORKS 2017.

John Pagel

I must have missed that one.  Of course, I should have also noted that I like the cross hair better.  I just get silently freaked out for a millisecond when I don't see the familiar pencil and think I selected the wrong icon.  It's another thing that simply requires getting used to.  I didn't see it mentioned whether the cross hair was going to continue to be an option.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi John,

As a test, with no documents open in SOLIDWORKS, go to Tools, Options, System Options, Performance, and turn on "Use software OpenGL". This will bypass your graphics card and calculate the display using the CPU rather than the GPU. Does the problem then go away? If so, I'd suggest reporting the issue to your VAR with details about the graphics card and driver so they can investigate further. While the graphics card and driver is officially supported, there may be a bug in the driver, perhaps related to certain settings in the driver or your hardware setup that is causing the problem and that has not been found in our testing.

Thanks,

Jim

John Pagel

Jim,

Thanks for the advice.  I did this and it didn't change anything.  I could definitely tell that the graphics were being processed by the CPU based on the performance when handling the model.  I am going to try a repair install for good measure and if that doesn't work call my VAR.  My company is paying for the tech support and I might as well take advantage of it since this is probably not as easy as a fix as I thought.  I appreciate the help though.

John

Jim Wilkinson

Hi John,

Actually, one more thing to try. Do you have a Microsoft Aero theme turned on? If not, please try that. Most people think that turning off the Aero theme should have better performance and reduce problems, but it is actually the opposite.

Thanks,
                                    Jim

John Pagel

Jim, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I love that you fixed the problem, I hate that I have to use Aero.  Of course, I have no rational explanation as to why I hate Aero so much.  I'll chalk it up to one of a few permissible eccentricities that I hold.  But, at least I can admit that I'm crazy and perhaps a bit nostalgic.  I've been using the Classic theme with a Windows 95 turquoise green background.  Well, into the 21st century I go!

I have run into this issue before, but it manifested in a much different way so I did not recognize it.  I am curious though, why is this so?  Is there any chance of this being fixed in the future?

While I am very aware that it is easy to play armchair quarterback since I am not a software engineer, it seems like this is pretty strange since I've never experienced this with any other software.  I'm wondering if there's a legitimate reason for it (especially given the price of SW).  Or, is this just a quirk that doesn't have enough "squeaky wheels" to get any grease?

I definitely don't mean to gripe so please don't take any of this that way.  I'm  just curious and also wondering if it is a permanent problem in the software.  Thanks for any input you can provide.

John

Jim Wilkinson

Hi John,

Unfortunately I do not believe it is something we can fix. Microsoft turns off certain advanced graphics card abilities when not using the Aero theme. If you go to the SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base and search for Aero, there is a bunch of information there. I'll try to link directly to the KB search and you can put in aero there:

https://customerportal.solidworks.com/SWSearch/search.aspx?SRN=

If the link does not work, go to www.solidworks.com, click on Support, Technical Support, then Knowledge Base and search for aero. You'll see a number of solutions indicating why Aero must be turned on with accelerated graphics cards. There are also a number of SPRs of problems that arise from not having Aero turned on, some of them very similar to what you are seeing.

Thanks,

Jim