6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 3:13 AM by Michael Barnard

Solidworks freezing on launch

Michael Barnard

Problem is as follows, when I launch Solidworks it opens up the splash screen like normal but then takes an exceedingly long time (2+ minutes) to work through each step (loading registry, Initializing VBA engine, etc).  When Solidworks finally opens, it looks like normal but its barely responsive, I can click on a menu for it only to react literally a minute or two later.

I have the latest version of Solidworks 2016, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it.  I do have the PDM client addon installed in case that changes anything, I'm on a network licence but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem as it will throw me an error on the splash screen when it can't validate that.

My laptop is a Gigabyte P35, i7 processor, discrete GPU, 16 GB RAM, so it should be more than capable, on top of the fact that I ran the 2015 version of Solidworks fine.  Something between the transition from Win 8 to 10 or 2015 to 2016 messed something up that I can't figure out so I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

• Re: Solidworks freezing on launch
          Dave Laban

What discrete GPU?  Correct driver installed?  Graphics Card Drivers | SOLIDWORKS

Dennis Dohogne

Michael Barnard,

This sounds very similar to the problem I had just a little over a week ago.  I called my VAR and even though the problem did not look like a graphics problem he had me try setting the box for Use software OpenGL to checked:

I did this and I was able to run without problem.  This proved the problem was with my graphics card.  Long story short I had not updated my graphics card driver since I had upgraded my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and since I had updated my SWX install to 2016.  Even though my particular graphics card is not supported I had never had a problem with SolidWorks until these two upgrades.  I don't know which one is the actual cause, but by installing the most recent driver for the right OS I have not had any problems since.  (I was then able to uncheck this Use software OpenGL box.)

I hope this helps.

Michael Barnard

The issue presents itself immediately upon opening Solidworks, I have a hard time clicking on a single menu, much less getting to anything 3 dimensional.  I did manage to wait through all the menu delays to change this setting but it had no effect.

For reference, this is the screen I am stuck on: Capture.PNG

If I try to click any of the menu buttons along the top it freezes for a minute or more.

Also like I said above, my graphics drivers are up to date so unless there's something physically wrong with the GPU (is there a way to check that?) I'm fairly sure that's not the issue.