3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 1:17 PM by Jim Sculley

How to Handle Obsolete Parts

Andrew Holowack

Hi Everyone,

Originally when I thought about PDM I had a vision that when a library part is in an obsolete state it would disappear from it's folder in the library so that designers couldn't accidentally use it in a new assembly. This does work by turning off all permissions to the file for designers so that the file is unavailable. However my company requires these obsolete parts to remain in all the projects they were used in up to the point that they became obsolete. If I turn off all permissions for designers then Solidworks can't find these files. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle these obsolete parts? I am considering setting the permissions in the obsolete state to read only and then creating an obsolete folder to drag them to. My concern for this is that these files will still come up in a search and could be mistakenly used.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

• Re: How to Handle Obsolete Parts
          Chris Saller

You can create a new "Obsolete" folder in the vault, move the files to the new folder. If Admin, you can change the folder so others can not view it.

Craig Schultz

In the obsolete state only have admin permissions.  That way you don't have to worry about folder permissions.  The designers won't be able to search for/use them out of the explorer.....

The parts will show up as suppressed in the assembly.  I put the stop sign symbol as the state picture for a visual clue.

It doesn't seem like you can have it both ways.

Jim Sculley

In addition to the permissions and states, you can add a feature to the model that makes it very clear that the part should not be used. I typically add some extruded text with something like 'OBSOLETE - USE PART XXX.SLDPRT'.  It is large and very visible and will make a mess of any drawing or assembly where the part is added.  Having the pointer to the correct part makes it easy for users to replace it with the correct component.