5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 1:42 PM by Jim Wilkinson

Measure Tool & Select Other

Andrew Terry

Has anyone noticed the select other option in the measure tool disappears given the context? For example, when I select a face using the select other option prior to executing the measure command, the select other option does not appear in the right-click context menu after the measure tool is executed. However, if I execute the measure command first the select other option is available throughout the operation.  I’ve noticed this in SW2015 and SW2016. This does not happen in SW2014. Something has been lost in the programing between 2014 and 2015. I was curious if anyone else has noticed this and if there is an SPR for it.

• Re: Measure Tool & Select Other
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Andrew,

I'm not seeing this problem in SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP04. As long as I right click on a face, edge, or vertex while the measure command is running, Select Other is present in the menu. If I right click in the graphics area, it will not be available because Select Other is dependent upon the selection being made on geometry. Are you right clicking on geometry?

Thanks,
          Jim

Andrew Terry

Did you select geometry before activating the measure tool? This is where I am seeing the problem. If I select geometry first, then activate my measure tool, when I right click on geometry for the second selection the select other option is not available. SW2014 did not behave this way, but 2015 and 2016 (SP3.0) now do.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Andrew,

Yes. Here is a screenshot from SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP03. Just to make sure I'm understanding the exact sequence you are talking about, I picked the top face, then chose Measure from the Evaluate tab of the CommmandManager. Then I right clicked on the front face.

MeasureSelectOther.png

Perhaps there is some detail in your sequence that is different or a setting that you have in the measure dialog that is causing the problem? Maybe if you add a screenshot, I'll be able to learn more about what settings you have, etc.

Thanks,

Jim